Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTDLR is missing

• Please log in to reply

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I was deleting some stuff on my Hard Drive when I accidently deleted ntdlr. Now My computer won't start because it is missing.

Is there a way to get ntdlr back without reformating my computer?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk
You may be able to use a Windows XP bootable disk to start the operating system on a computer running Windows XP. Use the procedures in this article to work around the following boot issues:

• Damaged boot sector.
• Damaged master boot record (MBR).
• Virus infections.

• Missing or damaged Ntldr or Ntdetect.com files.

• Incorrect Ntbootdd.sys driver.
• To boot from the shadow of a broken mirror. Please note that you may need to modify the Boot.ini file to do this.

You cannot use the Windows XP boot disk to help resolve the following issues:
• Incorrect or damaged device drivers that are installed in the System folder.
• Boot issues that occur after you see the Windows XP startup (Osloader) screen.

http://support.micro....com/kb/305595/

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
The ntdlr is missing message comes up in the screen that is black with white writing im not sure what this is called. But reading what you wrote i dont think I can retrieve using the boot floppy disk.
Is there any other way?

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
My other computer is the one with the problem. I am using a different computer, Windows 98, to try and figure out how to fix the problem on my Windows XP.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this the way you are doing it with the 98 PC

Create a Boot Floppy Disk Without a Windows XP-Based Computer

1. Refer to the article Q310994 for directions to download and create the Windows XP Setup disks by using a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me):
310994 http://support.micro...b/310994/EN-US/ Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks

2. Delete all the files from the newly created Setup disk 1.

3. Copy the Ntdetect.com and the Ntldr files from the I386 folder on the Windows XP CD-ROM to the new disk.

4. Rename the Ntldr file to Setupldr.bin.

5. Create a Boot.ini file. The following example works for a single-partition IDE drive with Windows XP installed in the \Windows folder, but the exact value in the [operating systems] section depends on the configuration of the Windows XP computer that you want to start: [boot loader]
timeout=30
Default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows="Windows XP"

If your computer starts from a SCSI hard drive, you may need to replace the multi(0) entry with scsi(0). If you are using scsi(x) in the Boot.ini file, copy the correct device driver for the SCSI controller in use on the computer to the root of the setup disk, and then rename it Ntbootdd.sys. Change the disk(0) number to represent the SCSI-ID of the hard drive you want to start to. If you are using multi(x) in the Boot.ini file, you do not need to do this.

6. Start your computer by using the floppy disk, and then log on to Windows XP.

Calvin and Hobbes

Calvin and Hobbes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I followed your insructions and now my computer is up and running again.

Thanks for all the help. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

cassyann1985

cassyann1985

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi I also have my ntdlr missing I have a hp with windows xp pro.I have recently moved and the cds for system were lost.I tried copying the file to a rewritable cd and nothing seems to work . I just get the screen to press ctrl alt del to restart when the computer restarts the screen  will go off act as if it went on and nothing appers not even boot options or  ctrl alt del . untill I hold the power button in and restart the tower I have seen setting the computer to factory setting might do it . could any one help I dont wont to lose any files pics or scans I have put in to the pc.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Did you even try the above instructions?

If so, and still no luck, try: http://answers.micro...af-1246ca272630

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi I also have my ntdlr missing I have a hp with windows xp pro.I have recently moved and the cds for system were lost.I tried copying the file to a rewritable cd and nothing seems to work . I just get the screen to press ctrl alt del to restart when the computer restarts the screen  will go off act as if it went on and nothing appers not even boot options or  ctrl alt del . untill I hold the power button in and restart the tower I have seen setting the computer to factory setting might do it . could any one help I dont wont to lose any files pics or scans I have put in to the pc.

cassyann1985

Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered to the OP.

Please continue with the thread that you started here where the first thing that we should do is attempt to back up the data from the HDD.