Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video & DVD problems

• Please log in to reply

kezraela

kezraela

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I have two problems that may or may not be related (I'm thinking probably not, but what do I know? :whistling:)

First, when trying to view live feed from a website, the color is skewed from natural colors (the bald eagle i'm trying to see is bright red, orange and yellow surrounded by a green nest...). I have seen this phenomena on other internet videos (tried to preview some video for the online game, Everquest II), but thought it was a problem with the site.

Secondly, I cannot get dvd's to play anymore. The error message I get from Windows Media player says I need to have a decoder, something that I thought I had before. I used to have Intervideo WinDVD on my computer also, but about 6 months ago the hard drive had a melt down. I got all the items restored from the original hard drive, but they are not organized on the new one in quite the same way, and I don't know how to find it.

Currently I am able to play the videos that were already stored on my computer, perhaps because they are a different type of file than dvd's. Those files were among the ones lost when my hard drive melted before, so I think Intervideo (and the decoder it contains) should be recoverable also, if I only knew where to look/what to do.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Advertisements

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi kezraela and welcome to GTG,

I don't think I can help you with the first problem though I'll make some research. Now about the second problem, it is most probably beacuse of the decoder. Download K-Lite Codec Pack 2.71 FULL from here, install it and then try opening the DVD files again. That should fix your problem hopefully, let me know please.

Alan :whistling:

kezraela

kezraela

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Tried downloading the Codec pack earlier, which is why I can watch the saved videos. No change to the dvd though...which seems odd. I think I need to find the decoder, would be happy to search it out, but don't know what file type it would be. Have you any ideas? I can search for it based on file name or type...what type of file are Intervideo decoders anyway? Thanks for the ideas!

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Have you tried running the dvd from the codecs of K-Lite Codec Pack 2.71 FULL, I mean like trying to open the dvd with DivX, Xvid (these come with the pack)?

Alan
:whistling:

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Well what I meant there is this: (most probably here is where you've installed K-lite)

Go to START > Program Files > K-lite Codec Pack > Media Player Classic

or

Go to START > Program Files > K-lite Codec Pack > Configuration > DivX Decoder or Xvid Decoder

I you've tried those already and it did not work, please can you post the format of the video/DVD you are having problems with?

Alan :whistling:

kezraela

kezraela

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I go to the DivX or Xvid Decoder I get a pop up box with settings to adjust...but I don't know what to do to apply them to the problem. Are there certain boxes to check off? I don't know what to do after accessing the Decoder. Don't see any boxes to allow playing DVD's, but maybe I just don't know what to look for.

When I go through the classic player, it doesn't let me open it either, saying "Copy-Protect Fail"

I'd rather be able to use Windows Media Player anyway...is there someway to download or install the DivX/Xvid to that player?

As to the dvd, its Region 1, High Def, color, 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen...Don't see other particular formatting info. but its The Legend of Zorro, purchased at WalMart, and is just a standard American DVD...WideScreen Edition...I'm not sure that that info is helpful at all. :whistling:

Edited by kezraela, 05 April 2006 - 09:49 AM.

Wetwilly

Wetwilly

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a thought about your DVD issue. go to www.thecodecs.com and download the free codex package. You need Winzip to unzip the file. You simply install it and WMP can read most video feed formats. (DivX, Avi that sort of thing)

Please do not include an e-mail address in any post because you may get more contact than wanted

Edited by Keith, 05 April 2006 - 10:56 AM.