Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Search results is not working

• Please log in to reply

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, I just rewrote this maybe it will make better scent.
Search results is not working in user account with full administrative
rights but is working in my other account which is limited right ?.
When I try to open it, click start then click search a box comes up at the bottom of the screen that says (search results) it reminds me of windows 3.1, but will not open?
when I double click on it, it flyís up and to the right of the screen out of site, when I right click on the box it menu pops up with restore, minimize, maximize and close, all that works there is close.
I even done a restore but it didnít change anything and also done a check disk and it didnít find anything wrong?,
I went to taskbar and Start Menu Properties and in advanced menu (search) was ticked I even untick it and apply and then went back and retick it and hit apply, no luck! Now get this! This same user account with administrative rights works fine in safe mode?
Now if I go to My Documents in this user account with administrative right the search works fine from there. So how do I get it to work from my
desk top like it did? click start then click on search ? it did work at one time.

Thank You for taking the time to read this and I hope I explained this well enough for you to make scents it.

running xp pro

Edited by 4238dwight, 04 April 2006 - 01:13 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Dwight

Dwight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
:whistling: Thanks Keith, for the reply Iíll give it a try, Keep up the good work I know you guys are
hard at work trying to keep up with all of us. THANKS

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD