Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pentium 4 versus other processors

• Please log in to reply

jrsygirl

jrsygirl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have a couple of questions...because I know how to turn on a PC, everyone comes to me with computer questions...after I come to you, I'll be known as a genius...smiles...I know a little bit about what GHZ, RAM and Gig we should look for. But I'm clueless on Brands and Processors. My sister wants a new PC...shes looking at Dell, Gateway, HP... she will not be doing anything major on it...she browses and burns some music cds, she plays online games, but not with any controllers or anything, just simple stuff...we will probably go with 2.60 or better GHZ and 512 or better RAM, and a 40 - 80g hard drive..all depending on price. Can you rank the brands of dell vs gateway vs hp or others. I have a Gateway with no problems, My friends with Dell rave about them, but I don't know about hp or any of the other brands....and now the processors...can you rank pentium 4, celeron, amd, athlon, sempron, turon... I thought pentium 4 was the best, but I've been doing some reading and see amd may be just as good or in some cases better than pentium 4. From my reading, I thought they ranked pentium4 1st, amd 2nd, celeron 3rd, sempron 4th, turon 5th.. seems the amd, sempron, celeron are half the cost of the pentium...but I just don't know if they are good processors. Since we are trying to get the best computer for the best cost any help is greatly appreciated... you guys are the best!!! ...

Advertisements

Mysty

Mysty

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just bought this Computer because of the great deal; it gots and AMD 3800 + x2 Dual Core Processor; 1g RAM; 250 SATA 72000 HD; 2 DVD Drives; 1 Dual Layer DVD/R/RW Drive & the Other is a Basic DVD Drive. 4 USB back/2usb front; Nvidia Geforce 6200

Also there is no Modem; but a built in Wireless 802.11 Card; also there is basically no software; no Works, etc. I think there philosophy was put good hardware in and leave out all the extra's that you can upgrade yourself. If you price the Process alone it's 300.00 so this computer was definately worth the money. With these specs I couldn't touch this computer for less than $750.00

If you like to game you can upgrade your PSU; this computer only comes with a 300 w I upgraded to a Antec 500w; added another 1g RAM & a BFG Geforce 7600GT OC Video Card. This computer was fast; but now it's screamin and I only paid $609.00 for it; it now costs $659.00; but if you are going to compare it with other Retailers make sure it's is these Specs as I have seen this same model with lower specs for more money.

Here is the Link: Edited (they changed the page)

http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

Hope you like it; can't beat this price!!!

Also here is some good reading on Processor Comparisons:

CNET PRIZEFIGHT: AMD vs. INTEL - DUAL CORE PROCESSORS:

http://reviews.cnet....1.html?tag=lnav

Hope this helps

Chris/Mysty

Edited by Mysty, 02 April 2006 - 06:47 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, sorry he has answered the post before I could finish typing this and anyway I like it when you have read the other post bellow and then more or less answered your own question. Celeron for the price as she doesn't play highend graphic needed games then. So in buying a computer my only real advise is don't buy it from some grand surface where the price is cheap but noone can answer the questions because afterservice is the problem with computers "Oh, I cannot help you, we will have to send it back to ...." so buy in a small shop, and from someone you can pester later because with all computers there are always all those addons, such a MS Office, internet connections, Skype, msn messenger, etc., etc., and that is why unlike most other fields computer shops survive.

Edited by fleamailman, 02 April 2006 - 05:06 PM.