Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will not start up

• Please log in to reply

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I was downloading windows service pack 2 from microsoft's web page, but unfortunately I ran out of time and had to cancel the download. The following day the computer would not load windows. When I turn on the computer it starts up normal with the windows logo with the small loading bar below then all of a sudden the scene turns black and clicks off and begins the process again. I have tried safe mode and last time windows worked options and nothing. Please help thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi slaraplayboy...

Can you boot to Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in "Safe Mode with a command prompt".

Type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe at the command prompt, and then press "Enter"...Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Let us know how you fare...

wannabe1

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried safe mode with command prompt and the screen becomes full of messages like:
multi(o)disk(o)rdisk(o)partition(1)\WINNT\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys
then it clicks off and begins again to try starting windows.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have an XP installation CD?

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry the one that came with the computer I have misplaced. Hopefully you can still help me?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...no CD....that limits things a bit. Do you have a floppy drive?

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes I do have a floppy drive.

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Last time I mentioned that I had misplaced my windows xp that gateway provided, and today I found some software that will hopefully help me restart my computer. Windows XP is still missing, but I found three discs Gateway Applications; Drivers; and Operating Sytems. Will these help restart my computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If they are the right ones, they sure should.

Put the Operating System one in the cd-rom drive and restart. What we want to look for first is the option to Repair XP. It's not always available on OEM cd's, so we'll just have to check. Take a look at the guide at the link I provided and see if youare able to access the repair feature.

wannabe1

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the option to repair with recovery console is given should I select this option?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We need to verify that this is the right repair feature and not recovery console... :whistling:

Go ahead and select that option. If it's the repair funtion we want you will get the screens like the ones in the guide and it will look just like an installation. If it goes to a command prompt, it's recovery console. If you actually accessed the repair, go ahead and complete it. You will be asked for your product key...it should be on a sticker on your machine (side or back on a desktop...bottom of a laptop) and will be a 25 character alpha-numeric code.

Go for it!

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry I took so long. Well I selected the repair option and sent me to a black screen saying which windows installation would you like to log onto?
Only option is: 1: C:\WINNT

So I selected 1 and pressed enter then it is asking me for an administrator password?

I tried typing in my password that I use to log onto my computer and nothing. After the third try the screen will tell me to type any key to restart computer. I tried about four times trying different variations on my password and even older passwords that I may have had in the past and still nothing. I don't know what else to do. Please help. It's late so if you respond I will answer tomorrow thanks for your time.

slaraplayboy

slaraplayboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
One other question I forgot to ask is my neighbor has a copy of windows xp and I was wondering if I could use it to help me repair my computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi slaraplayboy...

Try leaving the password blank (just press "Enter" at the password prompt). However, if you are being asked for the passsword, this is probably Recovery Console. If you do end up at a command prompt (C:\Windows>), type chkdsk /r, and press "Enter". Then it will ask if you want to run this on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". Reboot. This is a pretty long check...be patient. Once complete, let it try to boot to Windows (don't press a key at the "boot from cd" prompt).

If your neighbor's XP cd is the same version (SP1 or SP2) that you have on your machine and is not OEM, then yes, you can use it to do the repair...you will need to use your product key, though. Follow the repair guide closely.

wannabe1