Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD and CD burner problems

• Please log in to reply

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I have a brand new laptop with a top of the line cd and dvd burner in it. I started to burn all my movies and ran fast it took about 7 minutes to burn 6 movies onto a dvd. But then it started to take 12 minutes and more for the exact same amount can someone help me :whistling:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there bobletman, welcome to Geeks To Go Forums.

This problem seems to be normal. Usually the more cd/dvd's that are copyied the writer become slower. It wont become massivly slower like 3 hours to copy a dvd but it will defintly be slower than the first time you copied a cd.

This problem can also be cause by the brand of dvd you are copying the movie onto, the speeds of the dvd. Some dvd's have 2x write speed when others have 6x write speed.

And this problem can also be caused by the method of coping the dvd. In most programs you can select the write speed. So try maybe set the write speed to a higher level.

Note: That depending on the write speed, some dvd players cannot read the dvd.

If everything is right, eg. write speed, brand dvd's. Then the problem is definlty the first explination I gave you. If you have any other questions dont hisitate to ask.

Cool :whistling:

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
hi,
Just a thing to look into i dont know the full details about your system but the very first thing that sprung to mind when reading "dvd/cd burner slowing down" was the starforce copy protection scheme look at below links for more information, check if it is installed if it is get rid of it.

first detect it using this guide:
http://www.glop.org/...orce/detect.php

if found you can read up on removal on the below links.

http://www.similarit.../starforce.html

http://www.glop.org/starforce/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarForce

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there surfer99, I dont mean to bust your buble but:

If this is the case (Copy Protection) then we cannot help. Copy protection is put onto games, movies, ect. To stop people from pirating there software.

This is illigal and Geeks To Go cannot support this method as you are giving him instructions on how to remove the protection.

But if not (No copy protection) then my explanation still applies.

Cool :whistling:

bobletman

bobletman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
thank you very much you have helped alot

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi Boblet,
Spoke to spike and as I explained was not trying to break any rules at all.

But in case that it is starforce playing with your drive (in all honesty this is not very likely as it is a very small minority who reports problems with it) but it was the first thing I thought off.

First thing is to check if it is installed, if it is not installed then ignore the rest of the post :whistling:
so heres a quick guide blatently copy / pasted over:

1) Right-click on My Computer, select Properties and the Hardware tab. Enter the device manager:

2) In the menu above select View and select Show Hidden Devices:

3) If you have Starforce, it will be listed under the Non-Plug and Play Drivers tree: (click on the + sign next to the list for "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" that just appeared, scroll down and check if you got "StarForce Protection...")

If it is not present then this is not your problem. if present then it can possible perhaps might be a contributing factor to your problem

Official removal instructions:
http://www.onlinesec...tect.phtml?c=55

Must admit I cant think of anything else that can slow drives down mysteriously.

*StarForce is a DRM/Copy protection software present on quite a few different games/movies etc. etc. if you have it installed it is because one of your games/movies etc. requires it but dont worry next time you launch the game/movie it will autoinstall itself and uninstalling it will not affect your ability to play the game/movie. (refer to document linked to above)

[edit: spelling]

Edited by surfer99, 03 April 2006 - 04:51 PM.

bobletman

bobletman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok thank you very much you have helped me a lot i dont seem to have starforce.