Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Our of system resources

• Please log in to reply

mcintyre

mcintyre

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I keep getting a "out of system resources" error - mostly when I am in Outlook

I do not have any thing running in the forground and just the spy/virus scans in the background

the only solution is to log out of outlook and sometimes restart the computer, then it will let me do the action I was trying,

I have gone to the GTG and cleaned the malware etc.

I have also asked this in the MS forum but no responces

thanks for your help

mike

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mcintyre...

What version of Outlook are you using?

wannabe1

mcintyre

mcintyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for responding

I am using Microsoft Office Outloo 2003 SP2

I am looking forward to your reply

Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this an upgrade from an earlier version?

Let's start trying to narrow this down...there are quite a few things that can cause this particular error.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, look for anything having to do with PGP or PGPTray. If you find such an item in the list, uncheck the box next to it. Do the same under the "Services" tab. "Apply" the change and click "Ok". Reboot.

Upon restarting, you will see a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Do you still receive the error message when using Outlook?

wannabe1

mcintyre

mcintyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
good morning,

This is not an upgrade, however, I think outlook express was installed on the computer when I got it
Under msconfig both the startup and services did not have any PGP or PGPTray items

thanks - waiting for your reply

Mike

mcintyre

mcintyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi

just a note to see if you have any more ideas?

I am still getting the error.

Mike

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I installed intrusion protection and got this

[attachment=7766:attachment]

Firewall settings to allow the intrusion programmes helped

If you close Outlook then open it again, does it run

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry, Mike...lost you in the shuffle... :whistling:

You might also have a look at this Microsofl Article.

wannabe1

mcintyre

mcintyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Keith,

sorry I too much of a newbe... how do I turn on/off intrusion programs in windows firewall,

I dont see any thing.

and Yes when I restart windows the problem goes away... for a while.

Sometimes when I close outlook it will go away... for a while.

Sometimes when I close other programs (eg spy and virus scan) it will go away ... for a while.

your input would be great.

Mike

Wannabe1,

thanks for getting back, I know you are busy doing your "real" thing and cant spend all of your time with me.

I looked at the "toolbox" article; chalange Is I am using outlook 2003 not outlook express, so some of the advice does not apply or I cant find what the instructons told me to do. I did run all the regsvr commands as well as cleaned out my tempory folder. I will let you know if it helps

Mike

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Changing the firewall settings to allow the programme I had installed helped, so close any browsers, turn the firewall off, start Outlook to see if it opens without the error, if it does, there is something which needs to be given access. Close Outlook and re-instate the firewall

Third party firewalls are better because they block incoming and outgoing data, and have more options for configuration

Zone Alarm Free is popular and reliable

http://www.filehippo...zonealarm_free/

Initially, it may not stop the error, but it can be configured to allow whichever programme is causing the error

Advertisements

mcintyre

mcintyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi David,

Ok, I disabled the windows XP firewall and the out of system resources error did not come back, then the next day I installed Zone Alarm and I got the error again.

So now what, is there a setting on ZA that I can set up to not use too much resources?

awaiting your reply

Mike

mcintyre

mcintyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
keith

sorry I typed david

Mike

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
You wouldn't happen to be low on hardrive space would you?

Happened to my boss becuase everytime he opened outlook and it loaded his 3000 from (1999 to present) e-mails he never deleted it would bog down and give him an error like that.Imediateley I went to do windows and mirosoft office updates to see if it was a hot fix issue and wouldnt you know I could not download the updates they were large enough that he did not have room on the HD.It wasnt till them I figured it out because he only had like 900kb left on the drive.

May not be your problem but figured I would throw that in.Only because you say "mostly when in outlook" meaning you may open other things and it happens too?If your memory is low starts writing to a page file and you are out of room on HD it would do the same thing.

How much memory do you have installed ?

TakeBK

mcintyre

mcintyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi

I have a 40 gig HD and 8.88 free space

I have an additional partition 4.44 gig (the old HP recovery partition) that is empty

I have 512 Meg of RAM

so it does not look like a memory or storage problem??

and the problem only happens in outlook, when I close programs running in the background eg birus and spy scans the problem goes away

thanks for thinking let me know

Mike

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi mcintyre...

What Anti-Virus application are you running? What Firewall do you use?

Let's run a quick repair on Outlook just to see if there's any difference in the performance afterward.

Open Control Panel and double-click "Add or Remove Programs". Locate and select your Microsoft Office application in the list of programs, click on the "Change" button...then on the "Repair Office" button. Tick the radio button next to "Repair errors in my Office installation" and click "Finish".

Now, when you run Outlook, do you still get the "System Resources" error?

wannabe1