Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstalling xp professional

• Please log in to reply

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Hey everybody. I bought my computer from my dad's friend so I got it and some of his clutter was left behind. What I would like to do is delete absolutely everything on the computer. Everything. I want to delete the os (currently windows professional) and everything that anybody has ever done on this computer. I'm hoping a fresh start like this will also get the computer running a little quicker than it is now as well.

Here's where it gets a little sticky. I didn't get the installation disk of windows professional when I got the computer, it was already pre-installed. I downloaded this microsoft program that tells you the serial number of your operating system, so I was wondering if I could just borrow a Windows XP Proffesional Setup disk and use my own serial number, because that would not be stealing considering it was already payed for.

Also, I recently did a similar thing with a different computer. I had a Windows XP Home Edition but it was corrupted so I bought a new "Windows XP Home Edition Update" disk. What I was hoping for this to do was as I was saying earlier, delete absolutely any trace of anything on the computer before the reinstallation of the operating system. After I went through the setup I noticed that in "Program Files" there were tons of programs from the old computer that aren't in any way associated with windows on the harddrive. So I was wondering if maybe this time it should not be an update disk, but just a regular setup disk.

Answers to these questions will be very greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time.

By the way, the computer that I would like to perform this on, is a Dell Inspiron 5000. I am currently running XP Proffesional on it.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

First of all, you will need to find out what happened to the original XP cd from whomever you bought the PC from.. If they still have it and are using it, then you will have to purchase your own version..

If they aren't, then odds are you will still have to purchase your own version as the key code on the system would be tied to an OEM install and those won't work on a retail XP cd..

Murray

friedpooodle

friedpooodle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Ok well that's not the big problem anyways. I would like to know how to delete everything off of this. Should I not get the update but get the other one?

Thanks.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Buy a full install cd.. better chance for a stable install.. You will get an option to delete all partitions and then re-partition, format and install XP.. That will wipe the hdd!!

Murray