Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Usb Ports Not Reccognized

• Please log in to reply

ekneelan

ekneelan

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
USB ports not recognized
When I bought the board new, it did not contain the ports and cables, but I recently purchased them and connected them to the motherboard and they are not recognizing the ports or anything plugged into them. I have updated the BIOS and checked the BIOS settings, still no ports are found. Device Manager show under USB 1.Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and 2. USB root hub, but no ports or devices. Intel USB System Check Shows Full USB Support. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Welcome to geekstogo
if I'm reading this right you just plugged in some usb ports into your Mb in your book for your MB there should be the wire setup for the usb ports a lot of times you need to make changes on where the wires are in the plugs so that the power ground and other wires are in the right spots or they will not be recognized
by your system if you can tell me what your Mb is I can track down the wiring diag. for the plug setup for you so you can check to see if they are right or you could be missing the right drivers for the usb you should have got a cd with your Mb and they should be on that.
<_<

ekneelan

ekneelan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The MB is a Biostar MB-8500TTD. It did not come with a CD, but I have the manual which shows the following diagram:

B5 - - - B1
X X X X X
X X X X X
A1 - - - A5
The pin assignments are as follows:
A1 +5V / B5 No Connection
A2 Port 1 - Data / B4 Ground
A3 Port 1 + Data / B3 Port2 + Data
A4 Ground / B2 Port 2 - Data
A5 No Connection / B1 +5V

The socket are each 5 pin and color coded as Black, Red, White, Green, Black and I am assuming that Black is +5V and No Connection, Red is port data -, White data + and Green ground so the color sequence in the same format as above would be:

A1 Black / B5 Black
A2 Red / B4 Green
A3 White / B3 White
A4 Green / B2 Red
A5 Black / B1 Black

ekneelan

ekneelan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Last night I tried updating the chipset software with Intel's inf repair tool, Still no USB ports

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
In your BIOS settings is there a USB Ports setting? Often it says Enable Ports 1-2, 3-4 etc, and Enable All. If so, ensure Enable All is selected.

You could also try uninstalling the USB hub in the device manager. Restart your computer, it will "find new hardware" and reinstall it.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
looking at the way you have the wire set up is not right thats way it will not reading your usb ports the wire go as this.

The pin assignments are as follows:
A1 +5V / B5 No Connection
A2 Port 1 - Data / B4 Ground
A3 Port 1 + Data / B3 Port2 + Data
A4 Ground / B2 Port 2 - Data
A5 No Connection / B1 +5V

Your wires should be

A1 red / B5 red
A2 white / B4 white
A3 green / B3 green
A4 black / B2black
A5 Black / B1 Black

wire code for usb are
red,orange=power,vcc,svcc +5v
white,yellow=p-,data-,sbc-
green,gray=p+,data+,sbd+
black,blue,brown= ground,grnd,gnd

here is a site you can look at click here
<_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Good catch Tazz! I didn't even look at the pin assignments <_<

ekneelan

ekneelan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
<_< I tried checking the BIOS settings again, but the only setting shown for USB, is USB keyboard (enabled/disabled) and I have tried booting each way with no luck. Further, I tried removing the USB controller and hub in Device Manager and reinstalling it. No luck. I've even tried uninstalling them and using the Add Hardware method in Control Panel. I know that they are supposed to be equivalent, but I've seen Windows do some pretty flakey stuff (anything is worth a try).

As for the color code of the pins, if you think about it, to recognize the port it wouldn't matter (it would cause devices not to funtion), because with nothing plugged into the ports, the most that the computer could detect is how many pins are connected. i.e. the computer doesn't know which color is where. Being desperate, I gave it a try anyway. I do truly appreciate the heads up though, because after got the ports reccognized, the devices wouldn't have worked and caused yet another problem. I also tried not connecting any wire to the NO CONNECTION pin. i.e. using the equivalent of two four pin plugs. Still no ports are found.

Sorry that this is being such a pain and I deeply appreciate your assistance, but this really has me baffled and humbled. Thanks, ekneelan :D

Edited by ekneelan, 21 November 2003 - 11:54 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Device Manager show under USB 1.Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and 2. USB root hub, but no ports or devices

Are you looking to find USB ports and/or devices in the Device Manager? :D The Device Manager won't show any USB ports or devices, just the installed controller and hubs.

If, on the other hand, the wires aren't connected correctly, everything would appear correct in your BIOS and Device Manager (which it seems to), but the device wouldn't work (which it doesn't?). I assume you're testing a USB device as you're troubleshooting? <_<

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
ok I just remember your running a biostar mother broad right.
same thing happined on my biorstar you need to go to there site and get the usb drivers that they have there or they will not work the windows for some reason they do not work with the biostar MB. I looked on the biostar site but could not find a MB mb-8500-ttd I do know that when i put my Mb In I did need to load there drivers for windows to run the usb right.biostar.com
<_<

Advertisements

ekneelan

ekneelan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, I am looking in Device Manager and it shows USB hub and USB Host controller and yes I am testing it with 2 USB devices. Sorry.

On the driver suggestion, Two or three days ago, before I started this post, I went to biostar tiawan (becuse the US site didn't have squat) and as I think I mentioned before, I installed the only upate I could find ttd0616b.ttd
See page http://www.biostar.c...3?model=8500TTD
Still no usb ports.
I went back there for the 8500.ttd you mentioned, but it wasn't there. They list one Driver upate for USB, but it is only for VIA chipsets, but mine is an Intel.

Could I have done something wrong with the update process? I used Awardflash utillity. When it prompted me for "File to program", I pointed to ttd0616b.ttd. It then asked if I wanted to backup my current BIOS settings and I have tried both Y and N. On bootup it shows Bios version as ttd0616b, but it still shows the original date. Any thoughts? <_<

Edited by ekneelan, 22 November 2003 - 04:12 PM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
did you try changing the wires in the post I made?
here is asite for usb drivers but not sure what one you need.usb drivers still looking into the usb and bios on your MB
<_<

ekneelan

ekneelan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I did make the pin changes as suggested. See two posts ago for particulars. I will also check out that site. Thanks for your continuing efforts.

ekneelan

ekneelan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
<_< Sorry admin, I just realized that I never finished answering your last question. I appologize for my being green with USB. The only older boards I have upgraded to USB I have used the add on cards (PCI I believe) and they usually show four items under Device Manager, a root hub, a Host controller and the two ports. (That is to say that, the cards I have put in have shown all four) Their big problem (the add on cards), is that contrary to the manufacturer's claim, they're not always compatable. I've run into that twice now. The board I'm working on now has USB built in and it has been explained to me that when the USB is an integral part of the MB, the ports usually don't show in Device Manager. I apologize if I was misleading with my terminalology.
Anyways, the ports will not recognize any of my USB devices :D

Edited by ekneelan, 23 November 2003 - 01:37 AM.

ekneelan

ekneelan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
taz, I did some searching and this link has a good history for the 8500ttd driver, but it shows the same file I have already tried. I'll doublecheck my installation technique. Thanks

http://sos-hardware....D_downloads.htm