Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

delete bad file?

• Please log in to reply

livewire

livewire

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Got a slight problem here that I'm sure someone has a solution for, but I just haven't found it yet.

I've got a file on my computer (a .jpg image) that the explorer can see, and when I use the DOS prompt "DIR" the file is listed, but any attempts to access the file, either thru the Explorer or DOS prompt, causes the computer to freeze up for 10 minutes, and when everything unlocks, there's usually an error. For example, when I tried to replace the file with another file of the same name, I got the usual "File already exists. Overwrite?", I click yes, computer freezes, then comes back with "File exists. Use a different name." All attempts to delete, rename, overwrite, or move the file results is a lockup, and the file remains. I'm guessing, since the Explorer can see it, the file pointer is still in the index, but the actual memory where that's pointing to is corrupted/bad/non-existant.

chkdsk (full version) did not fix it.

How do I delete this file?

I'm running Windows 2000, SP2.

Thanks!
Mitch

Edited by livewire, 02 April 2006 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
You can try this program called Move on Boot.

It should do the trick

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

Regards,
TakeBK

livewire

livewire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't work. When I use the file browser in the MoveOnBoot window to select the file, it causes the same freeze problem. When I type the filename (path and spelling verified three times), it sez "Incorrect file name".

Any other suggestions?

--Mitch

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to safe mode, then right click the image, click delete

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there livewire, I dont know if this will help. but here is a powerful program (KillBox) that has not let me down. It works almost like "Move on Boot". Give it a try.

http://www.scancompl...wnload/killbox/

Let me know if that works... Cool :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.geekstogo...TE-t102531.html

Have you tried moving the file to somewhere else to delete it? Also, do you use Norton and its Norton Protected Recycle Bin?

Johanna

livewire

livewire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
After attempting all of y'all's suggestions, the file remains. So I did some more research on the Microsoft site, and found an article that describes what I'm experiencing (the reason for the "inpage error"), but naturally, there's no solution. The System Event log verifies this - during the time of the seisure, there are a slew of warnings that say "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging operation." http://support.micro...kb/141117/en-us.

I scheduled another chkdsk on startup. On step 1 of 5 it hung up at 33 percent, and after the 10 minute seisure, it skipped all the rest of the tests and said chkdsk was complete. Encouraging, isn't it? :whistling:

Anyone got a bigger hammer?!?

--Mitch

Edited by livewire, 04 April 2006 - 06:47 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have a go with Unlocker from my signature, install it with the unlocker assistant option and set it to run at start up, reboot, you should see a wand in the taskbar, try to delete the file, the error should then start the unlocker assistant which gives choices

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your xp disk? if so boot to the recovery console (choose the R option after booting to the cd) log in as administrator and try deleting it from the comand line that shows up...

livewire

livewire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
If anyone is interested...

... the evil demon File That Would Not Die is DEAD! (And the crowd goes wild!)

Alas, I wish I could tell you what I did to defeat the little rascal.

Recovery Console didn't work. That is to say, the "Documents and Settings" folder was not accessible (permission denied? as admin?!?), and not knowing what else to do (aside from a few popular DOS commands, I know nothing about the RC), I rebooted. Just for giggles, I scheduled another chkdsk. This time it went all the way thru and finished completely. Sixth times charm? Go figure. When I selected the file, there was no seizure, but I got the error "Cannot delete <file>: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

This must have triggered the dirty bit, cuz when I rebooted again, the 3-step chkdsk ran, and the index entry for the file was at last deleted.

Thanks for all your suggestions, gang!

I think I'll go back up my drive, now.

--Mitch