Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no sound... this is weird

• Please log in to reply

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
well i think the topic describes it all... but im good with computers so i have been able to come up with this much:

my speakers havent been giving out sound for the past 3 weeks... and i knoticed its not the speakers... one of the drivers is not working propperly "C-Media AC97 Audio device" ... can somebody help?? :blink: :help: :)

thankss :whistling:

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to the "Control Panel", "System", click the "Hardware" tab at the top, now click the "Device Manager" button. Find where it has an exclamation point next to this "C-Media AC97 Audio device" (I'm assuming you have already been here). Now right click on it and click "uninstall". Reboot your computer. Windows should now say it has "Found New Hardware" and ask you what to do. Follow the instructions, basically you just click "next" and "ok" a few times. When asked where to install the drivers from tell Windows to automatically find them. Windows will now proceed to reinstall the drivers that should already be located on your pc. You may or may not have to reboot after installation. Hopefully that works for you. If you did not ever have this sound working on this current rig then let us know because you may have to install entirely new drivers.

-=jonnyrotten=- :whistling:

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok... well i followed your instructions... and when i uninstall it, reboot, it says new hardware found right. It does NOT bring up where i want to install it... or windows should look for it, it install its self, but when i go check the device manager, it still says it has a problem, with the yellow error sighn beside it..??

any thoughts on that?
:whistling: :blink: :help:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Welcome Earthling, two links for you then but Everest has gone 30days trail so after that it's up to you. The other, Drive isn't as good but it is stand alone which makes if very useful. links are:

Everest
http://www.lavalys.c...lcat=PR&lang=en

Drive
http://www.alexnolan.../deviceinfo.htm

Sorry, above is just me with a canned text practice, ignore, just meant that if you double click after installing one of the above then it normally tells you or even links you to the site that has the drivers for your sound card

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
What is the exact make and model of your computer?

Another Clueless PC User

Another Clueless PC User

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had this problem, and it was because the monitor got disconnected from the brain when it still had power going to it.

I went to the System folder through the Control Panel and uninstalled the exclaimed device, restarted and reinstalled...

JUST LIKE YOU TOLD ME TO DO!

It fixed it.

Thank you.

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
im not sure of the model... its custom made :whistling:

but all i need is the C-Media driver......

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
if there is any way i can check .... i will be happy to do it... :whistling:

noob4lyfe

noob4lyfe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

What is the exact make and model of your computer?

-=jonnyrotten=-

im not sure.... can you still fix this problem?..... if there is a way to find it... tell mee... i will do it.. :whistling:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well i'm trying to find out what motherboard you have in your pc because it looks as if you have "onboard sound" meaning that your sound card is part of your motherboard rather than a separate card that plugs into it. Try this:

Download a program called CPU-Z from here and upzip the contents of the file to a folder you create on your desktop. Now open the folder with the new files in it and double-click on cpuz.exe. Now wait a few seconds for the window to pop-up and when it does click the "Mainboard" tab at the top of the window. Now take down the Manufacturer, Model, Chipset, Revision, and Southbridge. Let us know this information and perhaps we can find the sound drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, either of those links I gave you show give you all the details of your computur, you would then be able to post the details here.