Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

external hard drive connection

• Please log in to reply

shadeymonk

shadeymonk

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I had two external hard drives, known to my computer as F and G drives. F drive I used a lot and it had all my media, G was an exact duplicate of F, should F ever fail. Well, F did fail and now I'm using G, but all my programs are searching for files from the F location. Is there any way to change it so when i plug in my G external, it will change it to drive F?

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Right click on "My Computer", click "Manage", the double-click "Disk Management". Now you will see some representations of your hard drives with Disk 0, Disk 1, etc... to the left of them. Now to the right of that will be some large rectangular blocks that represent your drives. Right click on the one for your G: drive and click "Change drive letter and paths". Make sure the correct drive is selected and click the "Change" button. Now choose F out of the drop down list on the right and click "ok". That's it. I don't even think you have to reboot. Let us know if you have any further problems with this. Aren't you glad you had a backup?

-=jonnyrotten=-