Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

is this bad?

• Please log in to reply

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
my computer case wont close so theres a big opening in the back... is it bad if theres a space open in the back of my cpu?

heres my little drawing =)

Posted Image

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
How come it won't close? Does it swing open? Is the side removable where it slides back then off. Maybe is slides up and off? Anyways, I would say it would definitely be best to make it close, but if it does not close that's ok too. If you're like me and live somewhere where random creatures can climb in there then this could be bad. Otherwise no problem, some go to the extreme and don't even use a case!

-=jonnyrotten=- :whistling:

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well when my old power supply died my dad bought an ultra x-connect 500w

the 20 pin atx motherboard cable is just too fat so when i close my case it hits the (cd drive holder?) dont know what you call it and my pc case has little room because of this fat cables =/

Posted Image

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Yes I am familiar with the X-connect and it's cables. Well don't worry your computer should be fine without closing the case all the way. :whistling:

Remember you will probably accumulate more dust in there because of this though. Don't forget to use some compressed air every so often so your computer does not soon have a blanket of debris, this will act as insulation and cause things to overheat.

-=jonnyrotten=- :blink:

Edited by -=jonnyrotten=-, 03 April 2006 - 12:08 AM.

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
is it bad if theres hella dust inside your computer? because when my dad uses the air compressor (not the one in can) i see dust almost everywhere in the air

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Yes it can be very bad eventually depending on how much dust. Sounds like he blows it out with air already though, so it can't be accumulating that much can it? How often is it blown out?

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
2yrs later when we bought and thats it (case was close)

Edited by realistpnoy, 03 April 2006 - 12:17 AM.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Ok well that's kinda long to wait. I clean mine out every month. I would say at least every other month especially if the case is open. Pretty easy to do just buy a can of compressed air that way you don't have to take outside to the compressor everytime. Also if you do it more often, then there will be less dust to fill the air with.

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
ok i see i have another question what is female look like on power cables for the psu?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Female plugs are any plug basically for anything that has holes in it for pins from a male connector to go into. If it has pins sticking out of it then it's a male connector. Holes in it = female connector.

Advertisements

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
well i went to frys today and didnt find any female to female motherboard power cable and 4 pin female to female power cable...so i can change the ultra x-connect cables and close that case

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I don't think you are going to find any sort of adapters to modify the cables on that power supply.

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
my only solution is to buy a case? =/

what is the price range of those without any power supply just the case?

realistpnoy

realistpnoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
or just buy another power supply =(

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well I don't want to go as far as to suggest you do that, but maybe if the power supply is still relatively new you can exchange it at the store it was purchased from for one that fits. Or just leave the case open, it's really up to you at this point.