Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

(SRV) resource record

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to add three PC's to a Windows 2000 server domain. The PC's are running XP Home. I'm getting this error message:

Error: This computer could not locate a domain controller for the Active Directory domain displayed in the error message because the Domain Name System (DNS) servers used by this computer for name resolution failed to look up the service (SRV) resource record.

Cause: The DNS SRV resource record is not registered in DNS.

Solution: Verify that the SRV resource record for the requested domain and service type exists in DNS. You can do this using the Dcdiag command-line tool, which must be run on a domain controller for the Active Directory domain you entered. To download Dcdiag, see the Download Center on the Microsoft Web site(go to http://www.microsoft.com/ and search for "download center.").

Cause: One or more of the zones listed in the error message do not include a delegation to its child zone.

Solution: Verify DNS zone delegations by using the Nslookup command-line tool.

See also: DNS requirements for joining an Active Directory domain.

Tried downloading dcdiag to the domain controller, it seemed to execute in a DOS window, and then closed, so I haven't made any progress in solving the problem. Any help is much appreciated.

Second question: how difficult is it to change the name of a domain. Thanks again!