Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First a Hal error now it just keeps on restarting

• Please log in to reply

Kurtz61

Kurtz61

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I was playing BF2 when the game crashed i figured ok it is going to take me back out to my desktop... nope not the case my computer shuts down and then starts to restart.... on the first try i simply get a quick blue screen and another restart then after several trys i get the error message as stated before "Windows could not start because of an error in the software... Please Report this problem as:
load needed DLLs for Hal
Please contact your support person to report this problem....
so i am like What the... after several trys of restarting and powering down i try to repair my windows installation hoping it will fix any missing or corrupted files... negative i cannot get that option because my hd isnt showing up... i should mention that i am running raid 0 on 250 SATA seagate drives... and yes i am pressing the f6 and loading my raid drivers....
i built this computer not a month ago and all was working fine until now....
my specs are as follows:
Asus A8N-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 Dual-Core Processor
EVGA Ge-Force 7800GT (just one... didnt have the money to go SLI yet)
Antec 550w
2GB Corsair dual channel

my Voltage and Temperatures are as follows:
Vcore Voltage 1.36
3.3V Voltage 3.39
5v Voltage 5.13
12V Voltage 12.22V
Cpu Temp = 44c
M/B Temp = 34C

Advertisements

Kurtz61

Kurtz61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
update... now instead of getting any errors when i try to power on my pc it just starts a loop of restarting before i can even reach the post... wonder if it is a bad PSU.... it is the antec true control 2.0

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Curious, can you get into the comp with safemode,
what about last know good config,
can you restore

Kurtz61

Kurtz61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
at first i was able to boot into safe mode... now i cant even get the computer to post.... was working fine 4 hours ago lol then my game crashed which i thought nothing of cause i thought it was going to take me back to my desktop but instead it restarts the computer and gives the error load needed dlls for hal

Kurtz61

Kurtz61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
sorry i am a noob to forums does the fast reply automatically show up for you with out having to refresh?? or do you have to refresh in order to see my post

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Are you comfortable playing about the inside of your computer?

if you are try:

Check for fan activity check northbridge / southbridge / graphic cards temp i have had a video card overheat and cause my machine to restart, most overheating problems would however not give you a restart loop if you let it power down and leave it for a couple of hours so if you'r machine powers on fine after waiting 1 to 3 hours then you most likely got a overheating problem.

Min spec boot: disconnect everything except for psu / cpu / systemboard and memory (and i mean everything, floppy drive, cd-rom all hdd all cards pci or agp or pci-e, everything.

Boot it - does it give display? this config should allow you access to the bios unless either board/memory/cpu/psu are dead.

looks like you got 2 stick of memory, if above fails then remove both sticks and boot up again your machine should now give a beep code check the manufacturers webpage for the relevant codes if it gives beep code. if it does not give a beep code most likely motherboard or cpu is broken.
if it gives beep code try booting with 1 stick of memory, if fail move it to another slot, try all slots if fall slots fail try the other memory stick in all slots if it fails to give you post/bios in any config either cpu / systemboard / psu is dead ( suspect planar if this is the case)

the PSU can cause the symptoms above but in my experience it seems most often it is the cpu / motherboard.

if you have a spare psu try booting your machine with it (even a lower spec psu should be ok as you only need power to the cpu / systemboard to check for beeps if give beeps now then try and add the memory and swaping it about like described above.)

Kurtz61

Kurtz61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
will do.... will post results tommorrow thanks for the help

Kurtz61

Kurtz61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Update... have removed all hardware leaving just the cpu psu and video card and ram... still shutting down before starting post... even tried a pci video card... tried single ram still same error... although when i did take the ram out i did recieve the beeps letting know that it wasnt showing up... so i am thinking it is either a shotty psu or the mobo has gone bad... any more suggestions??

Kurtz61

Kurtz61

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
update... going to a friends place in the morning and going to try a new psu he has the same one i have Anetec true control 2 550w and see if that is the case.... if not only thing i can think of is my mobo is bad cpu is bad or my bios is corrupted... anymore helpful ideas please post... thanks

surfer99

surfer99

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
In my experience it will most likely be the systemboard causing the issue you are describing.

Now depending on your motherboard manufacturer there might be a way to reset the bios back to cure an eventual corrupt BIOS it is a Boot Block recovery, now i honestly cannot say if this will work on all machines or if even all motherboards are capable of doing this but i know it worked for my friends IBM machine after speaking to their tech support

http://www-307.ibm.c...ocid=MIGR-45385

there might be similar for other machines i know asus planars have a auto restore that gives a similar utility on some newer boards called ASUS CrashFree BIOS2

So depending on make / model of your systemboard it might have a similar function / feature that would allow to reset the bios, if that does not work i am afraid you are looking at getting a new board.