Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall XP

• Please log in to reply

smiffy

smiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
If I do this, will i have the same programs as before, and will my files remain okay???

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Honestly, I don't know if your files and programs will be undamaged after a repair. It depends on what is wrong with the system now, and whether you follow the directions carefully. I suggest backing up any important data before doing anything.

Yes, you can use HJT in Safe Mode.

Johanna

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
One downloads it and the other programs in normal mode, then installs them in safe mode, hjt needs its own folder and needs to be up to date and should always be used in safemode. One point about hjt log, when you run the scan see if you can number the file it gives because each time it replaces the old log notepad doc with the new one, . I myself like to take one a the beginning storing it apart so that if I ever get smart to malware I will see later clearly what I had at the time, making sense of their help.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Flea, why use HJT in safe mode if you don't have to? It was designed to be used in normal mode. Any software that needs devices disabled to run (safe mode) would be flaky, and HJT is not.
Johanna

smiffy

smiffy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Guys, don't worry. I'm backing up everything now (only 65GB), and then i'm gonna reformat it and reinstall XP. My Dad has a home edition which can be installed on 3 PCs, and is currently only on 1. So yipp-e-dee-doo!!!

I figure this way, my PC will be faster, all the malware will be gone, and i can start a-new!!