Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Wirless-g

• Please log in to reply

andrewjames

andrewjames

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Im new to this site and was advised to post my problem here and told that I may well get answeres so here goes, I bought a linksys wirless internet connection about 6 months ago, I have the small box next to my computor and the bigger box with the 2 arials in the next room.I am only running the one desk top pc and only bought the system so as not to have to run a cable from one room to another.Anyway my problem is that I keep loosing the internet connection sometimes a couple of times within a few minutes in other words consistantly,thats when its at its worst,NTL tell me there is nothing wrong with my internet connection and I have tried hard wiring it into the stand alone ntl modem and it works fine which would suggest it is the wireless router thats at fault.I have also spoken to the lynksys help line in Manila,she was helpfull and took me thro various things but it was still no better.When its working it works well and the signal strenth is usually very good but then all of a sudden I lose it and have to right click the mouse and click repair which usually repairs it,quite often this keeps happening and sometimes it cant find another ip address so I cant get online at all.So is there anyone else out there that has had this problem or better still is there anyone out there that knows how to fix it.Your help will be very much appriciated. Thanks Andy

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Andy,

Please goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Restart your computer and then see if you still get disconnected. If you do, then continue..

Please goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Press the Configure... button, next to your NIC --> Select the Power Management tab --> Ensure the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. is unchecked. If not, uncheck it then restart your computer -- do you still become disconnected? If so, please continue..

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

- Dan