Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

intermittent reboots on emachine T5026

• Please log in to reply

MarilynJo836

MarilynJo836

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't know if this is a hardware problem, or not.

I have a 14 month old emachine T5026 with an intel pentium 4 chip. A month ago it started rebooting so that I wasn't able to do anything with it. Took it in to my favorite repair shop. At first they thought it was a bad hard drive, then decided it was the memory. After a week in the shop and almost $300, I got the machine home and it rebooted twice in a short period of time. Took it back to repair and they let it run overnight with no problems.

I've had it running for a couple of weeks now and the system is useable, but it reboots 4-5 times per 24 hour period whether it is in use or not. (I don't turn it off.)

I've been checking the Dr Watson file and it first gave the following error even though I wasn't running IE:

Application exception occurred:
App: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (pid=1924)
When: 3/23/2006 @ 20:22:29.812
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)

After I installed ColdFusion, all the error message have been about swoc.exe or swagent.exe.

App: C:\CFusionMX\db\slserver52\bin\swsoc.exe (pid=532)
When: 3/25/2006 @ 14:12:41.187
App: C:\CFusionMX\db\slserver52\bin\swagent.exe (pid=504)
When: 3/25/2006 @ 14:12:41.765

When I look at services, it says both these services are stopped. I still get those same error messages after I uninstall ColdFusion.

Makes no sense to me. My repair person says these intermittent errors are difficult to resolve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

MarilynJo836

MarilynJo836

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the very quick response!

I had already unchecked the re-boot option several days ago. I looked at it and it is still unchecked. However, the automatic re-boots continue.

Perhaps I should take it back for repair of that problem?

Marilyn

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check inside the computer for any dirt or dust (i've actually had one computer come back from a repair shop with MORE dirt than when it left my house..)

also i'd like to see the results of this step

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

also

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

MarilynJo836

MarilynJo836

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer crashed after a couple of minutes every time I tried to run sfc /scannow. However, since the computer was restored using the boot CDs, I assume the correct file versions should be in place.

Here is one example of the application red X that occurred just before the crash. However, I did have crashes before I installed ColdFusion. That was when I first got the computer back from repair and the event log doesn't go back that far. When I remove ColdFusion, I still get error messages about it in DrWatson.

Crash time 4/4/2006 @ 09:10:34.062

From Application Event viewer:
Date: 4/4/2006 Source: ColdFusion MX ODBC Ag
Time: 9:10:30 AM Category: None
Type: Error Event ID: 0
User: N/A

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ColdFusion MX ODBC Agent ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ColdFusion MX ODBC Agent@LOCALHOST,ErrorCode=430,ErrorMessage=Failed to open event trace file because the file version is not recognised..

Marilyn

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
some of this has to be related to cold fushion not uninstalling fully...can you REINSTALL it then boot to safe mode and uninstall?

MarilynJo836

MarilynJo836

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's been 8 hours and 40 minutes since I uninstalled ColdFusion in safe mode and no re-boots! Thank you for the excellent advice.

I'm past mid-semester in a Cold Fusion class, so I really need to re-install. Do you have any suggestions?

Boot.ini was the same with auto re-boot enabled and disabled:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I would prefer to turn off the auto-reboot if it were a simple matter of adding something to boot.ini.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to turn off the auto reboot..In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

MarilynJo836

MarilynJo836

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The computer is crashing again, but now no error message in the systems or applications logs and nothing in Drwatson either. In safe mode, the AUTOMATICALLY RESTART still is unchecked, but it continues to re-boot.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...at least we got the errors gone...

boot to safe mode with command prompt and type chkdsk /f /r and let that run to completion

go to www.memtest.org and download the utility to make a bootable ram test disk (they have instructions for both floppy and cd..whichever one is easiest for you) let that run for 2 hours or untill the system crashes...whichever comes first...

report results or errors for both of these tests

MarilynJo836

MarilynJo836

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've been unable to run chkdsk to completion (there were several problems in addition to crashing) and I haven't tried the memory test yet.

However, I got the BSOD! Perhaps it will be enough information without the other tests?

I also had another idea. As a student I could purchase an upgrade to XP Pro for $100. I thought it might help in the diagostic phase (being able to turn off auto reboot and sleep options) or even solve the problem. But, perhaps it would only muddy the water. Let me know what you think.

Here it is:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. Windows updates needed?

...disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing...

Technical infor:
*** STOP: 0x000000d1 (0x008cc004, 0x00000005,0x00000000,0xf87c8fcd)
*** usbuhci.sys addrss f87c8fcd base at f87c5000, datestamp 41107d62

..Physical memory dump complete.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so check disk reported errors (multiple errors?) before the whole system crashed? did you catch what the errors were?

the BSOD you're getting is referencing a usb driver...do you have any usb devices plugged in during boot? if so remove those and go into the bios and disable legacy usb support...

MarilynJo836

MarilynJo836

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't know if there were chkdsk errors or not. When I ran it, I got this message: The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.Do you want to schedule chkdsk to run the next time. I answered "Y" and when I rebooted again into command line safe mode, the screen filled with the usual information but the prompt never came up. However, the disk light came on (steady on, not blinking) so I thought perhaps it was running chkdsk. I did this three times and it ran once for an hour and 40 minutes, but I never saw it quit, just saw that the computer had rebooted.

I do have a thumb drive but I'm almost certain it was not plugged in when I got the BSOD. However, doesn't the printer connect to a USB port?

I looked at the bios but didn't know what is meant by "disable legacy usb support."