Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFI Mini-PCI Card on my laptop

• Please log in to reply

Numba1Rookie

Numba1Rookie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey, I have an Averatec 6130H with Windows XP on it. I've had it for well over a year now and ever since I've gotten a router and such, I've tried endlessly to get the wireless connection working with no such luck. Pretty much I just resorted to using a Cat5 cable and leaving my laptop near a router (not really ideal at any means for a laptop). I was just wondering if it could possibly be a faulty driver? or do I need to set something up to get it to connect to the router (unseured D-Link Wireless Router, 802.11 G/B)? I've gone through the device manager and the driver for the card is in fact installed and working properly but I'm just not getting a connection :blink: Any advice would be a appreciated! Thanks!

stumped, :whistling:

Advertisements

duscarter

duscarter

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Are you seeing the D-Link icon at the bottom right of your screen? If so, click it and view availble wireless networks, then connect. I would suggest contacting the company that makes your router. I use Linksys and you can set up yor wireless connection on their website.

Numba1Rookie

Numba1Rookie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well alright, now that I feel like a complete idiot.... I was doing more research online about the wireless activities of my laptop and I came across one forum where one user mentioned something about turning 'On' their wireless card, so it got me thinking, there's 4 buttons at the top of my laptop keyboard, 1 is for Outlook Express, 2 is for Stand By, 3 is unknown at the time, and 4 is the Power button. So with number 3 being unknown, I wondered... hey could this be what the guy turned 'On'? Sure enough, it turned on my wireless card and everything works great. Again I thank anyone who read this and gave any advice, feel free to make fun of me in the future :whistling: