Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD/RW Problem

• Please log in to reply

ovey

ovey

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello all,
My computer is an HP desktop, running MS XP Media Center 2005, less than a week old. It came with a Lite-on DVD+/- writer/CD writer drive, but when I insert blank DVD+R disks, the drive name changes from "DVD-RW Drive (E" to "CD-Drive (E" and the drive recognizes that the disk is there, but says it's full. These are new Verbatim disks. When I check the disk properties, it says Used Space: 0 bytes, Free Space: 0 bytes, Capacity: 0 bytes.

I then put in a new Sony DVD+/- RW drive from my old computer and it does the same thing - but it used to work fine for these same blank disks. Then I tried blank Memorex disks - same problem.

Both drives recognize and play recorded DVD disks, and no problem with blank CD-RW disks. I just can't burn any DVD's.

Any ideas? Please advise. Thank you.
ovey

Advertisements

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
You must first format the discs before being able to use them by right clicking the drive with the DVD in My Computer and selecting "Format" from the menu.

ovey

ovey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you, oh greatmightypoo. I will definitely try that. I hadn't thought of that because I didn't have to do that on my old computer. Do you know why I would need to do it now? Thanks again.
ovey

greatmightypoo

greatmightypoo

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I can honestly say that I'm not sure. The only thing I can think of is that you had a CD/DVD burning utility previoulsy installed which autodetected the disc and preformed a "background format".

ovey

ovey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Oh greatmightypoo, the format option is not available in the "right click" menu. It's there for the HDD, but not for either DVD drive.

As far as previously performing background formats, I don't think that was the case because it started burning right after inserting the disk.

Any other ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
My DVD RW Drive shows as a CD Drive but has DVDR underneath with a blank DVDR disc in, it also shows 0 bytes free. Does the writing software say the disc is full when you start to burn

ovey

ovey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
YES! See problem description above. Sounds like the same thing..

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which DVD Writing software are you using

Have you checked for a firmware update for the drive

ovey

ovey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
But mine doesn't show DVD underneath CD. I haven't looked for any updates..I just bought the computer new last Friday - shouldn't be anything outdated. It's got 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, AMD Athlon™ 64 processor 3700+, etc.

I was trying to use nero, the same software and disks that worked fine on my old computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would be inclined to contact the shop about returning it so they can fix it and show you it working before you take it away from the shop