Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Always run a program using administrative rights

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
At work we have a computer with Win XP SP2 which has two user accounts, one is the Administrator and the other is a User type account.
Recently we installed a program which always needs to be ran as administrator. The problem is that people who use that program (under the User type account) are not supposed to know the administrator's password.

Is there a way to always run a program using administrative rights?.

Thanks in advance.

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
If it is a normal *.exe file under windows XP you should be able to right click and choose "run as" to then type in user name / password to run it as administrator.

not sure if this is a permanent solution or if you have to start it like that everytime you launc the program

did some digging and i found the solution for your problem:

1) Create a shortcut to the program you want executed
2) follow steps at the link above (instructions copied below for convience)

You can also configure a shortcut to always run using alternate credentials when opened by configuring the Properties for the shortcut as follows:

1. Close the program highlight the Shortcut to the program icon on you desktop using a single left-click. Right-click on the icon and select Properties.
2. In the center area of the Properties dialog box find the checkbox labeled, "Run as different user". Select the checkbox and click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
3. Double-click on the Shortcut to compmgmt icon to start the console.
4. You will be prompted with the "Run program as other user" dialog box. Enter the credentials in the appropriate fields. and click OK .
This technique may be used for any shortcuts that you desire to create and always run under a different security context.

Above instructions are for windows 2k for windows xp change step 2 to

2. In the centre of the "Shortcut" tab click on "Advanced" tick the "Run with different credentials"

Edited by surfer99, 03 April 2006 - 04:10 PM.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
create a batch file similar to that below

runas /savecred /user:domainname\Administrator "<path to exe...must be in quotes if containing folder contains spaces>" 
i put the puase in there cus i like to see if there are any errors with the batch file...it's not neccessary..but i like to have it

run it once and enter the admin password....from then on it will save those credentials for this software...and as long as they open the software with the batch file the program will run as admin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
I'm sorry i couldn't post back sooner. Anyway, the problem was solved. What happened was that i installed the program from the User account, running it as administrator. I reinstalled it from the administrator account and it worked fine.

Edited by Diego8, 05 April 2006 - 06:06 AM.