Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe is not running

• Please log in to reply

lars24

lars24

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Here is the problem. Using windows XP Media center edition (SP2). When I start the computer and press my name to login. I can see desktop icons and windows bar for about 5 seconds then it is gone. I have done a non-destructive recovery and destructive recovery. After each recovery everything will work fine until the computer is restarted. Then I have the same problem. Any I dea what is going on.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lars24...

By "then it is gone", do you mean the desktop disappears? Or is the computer ceasing to function?

wannabe1

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The desktop dissapears. It runs fine the first time after complete system recovery. But when I update virus protection and have to restart the desktop will disappear. Explorer is not running.

When I run SFC /Scannow it asks for the windows CD to install files for windows to operate normally. But the computer did not come with a windows CD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi lars24...

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I somehow missed your reply and either didn't receive e-mail notification or missed it too...I'm very sorry.

Without having an installation cd, our options are pretty limited. There are a couple of things we can throw at this, though.

From Task Manager, click on "File" on the toolbar and select "New Task". In the run box, type chkdsk /r (note the space before /r), and press "Enter". This will likely tell you that the drive is locked and ask if you'd like to have it run on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter". Reboot.

This will be a fairly long procedure. Be patient and do not interupt the check. It may even appear to back up or restart...that's ok, let it run to completion.

Let me know if this produces any positive result.

wannabe1

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I understand that you are busy so no need to appologize for delays.

I have ran chkdsk /r once before with no results. I will try it again. Is there anything else I can do?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What is the make and model number of your machine?

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
It is a HP Pavillion M1160n media center PC

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start , point to All Programs, then to PC Help & Tools , and click on Software Repair Wizard . Run the "System Recovery" tool. Standard System Recovery copies files to the hard drive that came originally with the PC while preserving most personal files.

Is this the operation you have already performed?

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes, I have done both a non-destructive system recovery and a destructive system recovery. So the computer should run like it is new. However, that is not the case. Everything will work fine until the computer is restarted. It also ran fine for a coouple of days without restarting then the same thing happened. Explorer.exe stopped running and will not restart.

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
When I try the system restore now, it tell me that windows did not start properly and I have to choose the 'last known good configuration' for it to start. Also trying to do the system recovery from PC help and tool will not work. The program doesn't start.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If Control Panel will open, double click on Add or Remove Programs. Tick the box at the top to "Show Updates" and scroll down the list to the updates section. See if you can find Security Update KB908531. If it's there, remove it.

Let me know what you find...

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
how do I get the control panle open without having the windows start bar. Is there something I can type in the 'new task/run' ox from the task manager?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
control

lorothrigs

lorothrigs

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I'm just curious and I know this might seem quite obvious, but have you tried going to Task Manager >> File >> New Task(Run...) >> explorer.exe ?

Edited by lorothrigs, 24 April 2006 - 04:54 PM.

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. I can't get the control panel to open. I type 'control' in th newtask/run box from task manager and nothing happens. I have had no luck getting explorer.exe to run so I have the windows bar and desktop icons.