Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe is not running

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this XP Media Center Edition?

Let's hold off on reinstalling Quicktime for the moment...

Advertisements

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes, it is the XP media center edition. I need to install Quicktime for Itunes to run. That is why I was asking.

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Any information from the hijack this log? I know it is a lot, but was wondering on the status?

I was talking to a friend and he thought I might have a boot sector problem on the hard drive. Fe suggested putting in a new hard drive. What are your thoughts on this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmm...I could have sworn I replied to the log... :whistling:

There are a couple of suspicious entries in the log, one of which involves the shell...that's where Explorer runs from.

Let's let the malware experts have a look at this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I posted the hijackthis log on the malware forum on the 29th. No one has looked at it yet. Any idea how long it will take?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you don't get a reply today, start a topic with a link to the malware topic in the Waiting Room.

lars24

lars24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I have identified the problem (with help from JSntgRvr). It is with a program in the Startup of MSConfig.exe called IPMon32
The location is C:\Program files\Visual networks\Visual IP Insight\SBC\IpMon32.exe.

Everything is fine in the System.ini, Win.ini, BOOT.ini, and services. The IPMon32 is the only program in startup that caused the problem. If I leave this unchecked in the startup tab of MSConfig everything runs fine and I now have the desktop icons and windows start bar.

Can I Just leave this unchecked in the startup, or should I delete the program. Which is best? If I am to delete which is the best way to delete it?

I would like to thank you all very much for your help.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
IPMon32...Installed with Verizon DSL accounts. IP Insight is a Quality of Service monitor and diagnostic tool that isn't required. <---(from Sysinfo.org)

You can leave it unchecked... :blink:

Glad you got this sorted out...finally. :whistling:

wannabe1