Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

7800 or 7900

• Please log in to reply

thelastelephant

thelastelephant

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
would a 7800 nvidia card or a 7900 card be better?
and what does GT, and GTX mean? does it make the card alot better or would it be better just to go the next level (7800 to 7900 for example)?
thanks!

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Well I assume that they are both 512mb, but I know 7800 can come in 256mb. Ok so I done a search and came up with this stuff.

Specifications/Performance: GeForce 7900 GTX

Graphics Bus Technology PCI Express
Memory 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 51.2
Fill Rate (Billion pixels/sec) 15.6
Vertices/Second (Millions) 1400
Pixels per clock (peak) 24
RAMDACs (MHz) 400

Specifications/Performance: GeForce 7800

Graphics Bus Technology PCI Express
Memory 512MB
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 54.4
Fill Rate (Billion pixels/sec) 13.2
Vertices/Second (Millions) 1100
Pixels per clock (peak) 24
RAMDACs (MHz) 400

Looking at the specs it looks like the 7900 has 2 up. With "Fill Rate" and "Vertices/Second". Although the 7800 has 1 up "Memory Bandwidth". Since I would be looking for better quality and would personally go for the 7900. Like you said better to go to the next level. But in some cases this does not always aplly (This Case = Yes)

Cool. :whistling:

rov

rov

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
the only differences between the 2 are pretty close, and would be pretty hard to notice that much of a diff

if youre on a budget, the 7800 would be a good way to go. the 79 is newer, and like everything it has a pretty big price tag its first few months. since they have the new line of 79's, the price should be coming down soon on the 78's.

7800 gtx is one [bleep] of a card, i can run everything with high graphics without problems, bf2, cod2, fear

and a gtx > gt, i think its maybe 90-120$ more for a 7800gtx than a regular gt.