Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to remove a file

• Please log in to reply

sportgirl08

sportgirl08

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Everybody

I'm currently trying to remove a file named AVContextR.dll It was a file used by a anti-virus program that I had install. Once I've uninstalled the program this file wouldn't go. Now my problem is that when I'm trying to right click on an icon, Windows Installer pops up trying to install that program wich I don't have but on 2 files remain in my system and I cannot delete them because I get the message "Make sur the disk is not full or write-protected or that tha file might be in use" I'm pretty sure that it is in use because it keeps poping up, but I can't find where it's hiding and in use.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help be with this matter.

Thanks

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
well, if you're SURE that file isn't needed anymore you could rename it to, say, 'AVContextR.dll.bak' or somesuch, and delete it the next time you boot up. if that doesn't work try deleting it in safe mode. :whistling:

sportgirl08

sportgirl08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much, I'v just renamed it. I'm gonna reboot and try to delete it. If it doesn't work, how do I get into safe mode again. I can't remember.

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
hit F8 after the memory check screen(or just keep tapping it soon as the booting process starts :whistling: ). that should get you to the screen that lets you select whether you want to boot into safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, etc...

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
another choice could be to use the unlocker program available at:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
use this program to delete/Rename the files that say "Check to make sure the disk is not write protected"