Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIN XP crashing!

• Please log in to reply

Lari

Lari

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I need help, it is urgent since I have really important information that I need to access as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!

The day before yesterday the computer restarted due to a power loss or something like that, my mom said that there was a power failure and the computer started acting funny, it would restart over and over again, looping.... so I unchecked the option "Automatic Restart" and it stopped doing that.

Ok here we go...

Problems:

* After this I was so happy because it didn't turn off, restart or crashed... How stupid.... I should have known better.... OK this morning it crashed, i have to point out, i remained on and working for a long time 5:00 pm till next day.

* TODAY. i tried to run AVG anti virus and it crash (BLUE SCREEN), also if I transfer files trough the network to get the most important files burned to a cd (because I have NO BACKUP) it freezes

* If I turn it off by unpluging the cable, then I am usually able to log into windows after I cancel the scan it tries to perform.... Now, I don't let it start because it gets stuck there and nothing happens

* If I restart the computer manually then it tries to boot from the CD because it says it can't boot from C drive

* If I insert WIN XP and try to reinstal windows or at least fix what its wrong with it, then it complains that it can't find a hard disk and that the installation has to terminate

* Then I started having problems with the profiles, it says that it is corrupt as well as other windows files.

* Now windows created another profile, but I can still see the data I had i just have to look for it on the disk

* I tought that the fan was not working and that the computer was overheating, but I don't think so since it has been on and running some tests to the memory so far 30 minutes or more... I am using the Ultimate Boot CD, I downloaded it from http://www.ultimatebootcd.com

* The good thing is that all the iformation is still there, I already checked and I am almost sure I don't need to format to get rid of whatever this thing is. The bad thing is that I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO! hehe HELP!

THANK YOU GUYS...Oh by the way I am new :whistling:

Larissa

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Lari...

after I cancel the scan it tries to perform

I'm assuming this is chkdsk that's trying to run on bootup. Let's approach these problems one at a time and then ship you over to the Malware Forum to finish cleaning the machine up.

From Windows, click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". At the prompt, type fsutil dirty query c: and press "Enter". Does the returned result indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 03 April 2006 - 09:55 PM.

Lari

Lari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am not able to boot from the drive.... [bleep] it

BOOT FROM ATAPI CD-ROM: BOOT FROM ATAPI CD-ROM: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I don't have drive A: for floppy

is it dead?????

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Am I understanding correctly that you are unable to boot into windows at all?

Lari

Lari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yes you are understanding correctly... ha

guess today is not my lucky day :whistling:

Lari

Lari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
wait! hahaha i guess i am lucky

i was able to get into windows

Lari

Lari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
.....mmmmmmm noupe no windows i will see if i can get into windows using safe mode

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool!

Try the command I suggested a couple of posts ago. Is the drive flagged as dirty?

.....mmmmmmm noupe no windows... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 03 April 2006 - 11:02 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Safe Mode with command prompt would be handy.... :whistling:

Lari

Lari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
:whistling: I am so sad, noupe I can't get into windows at all... before it starts running windows and bringing up the users screen and all the [bleep] blue screen again

I already tried to press F8 and It showed the Safe mode, Safe mode with networking...... but I don't think I will be able to get into win.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Where there's life...there's hope.

It's late here and this is going to be a rather complex fix me thinks. It's sounds like the machine is booting ok right up to where the boot sequence hands off to the Windows Registry. Sooooooo...we're most likely looking at a corrupt registry hive.

Have a look at This Microsoft Article, paying special attention to Part One which describes replacing the registry hive from command prompt. Keep in mind that this will be the most effective if you have a recent restore point waiting once Windows starts...It won't be pretty, but it will be Windows... :whistling:

You read up on that and I'll do some research on some other options we might try...and maybe get a little sleep.

wannabe1

Lari

Lari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank You wannabe1!

I really appreciate all your help! :whistling:

you are really nice, thank you!

And yes, it is late and I gotta get up early, anyways I will let you know how that went

Night, Larissa