Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logged off IMMEDIATELY after logging in

• Please log in to reply

drummerstp

drummerstp

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I was recently infected with the W32.Licum virus. I was in the process of installing Norton software when the computer crashed. After that, I was unable to log into windows. I would type my password and hit enter. the screen would say the usual "Loading your personal settings", then go immediately to "Saving your settings". i would then be back to the welcome screen.

I've tried all the accounts, including the administrator. I've also tried booting in safe mode. None of that worked.

I don't know if this is related, but I'll add it anyway. I tried to boot from a windows cd but was unable. I changed the boot sequence in the bios, but still no go. Then, i removed one of my cd rom drives, disabled that drive in the bios, and suddenly i could boot from cd. Dont know what that means.

First thing i did after booting from cd was i tried to repair. I hit enter to install windows, it found the previous version, then i hit r to repair. It went through the whole process, and i still can't log on. I can get into the Recovery Console, but i don't know what to do.

I've searched countless forums and have not found an answer. I've posted in a few different forums and have had no replies. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

drummerstp

drummerstp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
A little bit more info....

I tried to run the System Restore from the Recovery console but couldn't, i fount out why from microsofts website:

" Windows XP includes the System Restore tool, but you cannot start the System Restore tool from a Recovery Console prompt. Therefore, you may want to start the System Restore tool when you cannot start your Windows XP-based computer normally or in Safe mode."

I also tried F8-Last known good configuation. Still doesn't work.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there drummerstp, welcome to Geeks To Go Foums.

I was recently infected with the W32.Licum virus.

It seems like you have not clened on the virus correctly.

But before we can do anything about clearing out the virus we need to get started up into windows. Can you get into Safemode???

> Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap F8. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

Once in safemode, goto:
>Start
> Control Panel
> Add/Remove Programs
> Select "Anything to do with "Norton" Or "Systematec"

It look like only after you installed norton the computer started giving you problems, so the first step is getting this off.

Please notify me once you have removed Norton. From there we will try and make sure your PC is clear of all viruses (Direct you to malware forum) and then try and re-install Norton.

Cool :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Norton is a real bain in the pun, excuse my honesty, I have in the shop a comp with unwanted Norton, once in safemode it refuses saying cannot be done in safemode, it askes to be in admin, you know "windows flag botton with L, then cntl, alt delete twice" fine if the malware allows us to get to that account or if the clients has a password and no "Admin" and the userpasswords... tricks are out. So can someone link me and the person above to the latest Norton removal tool since I have Norton removal 2004 but not the latest one, drummerstp, forgive pls, saves double replying for someone with the answer.

Edited by fleamailman, 04 April 2006 - 12:56 AM.

drummerstp

drummerstp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks spike hacker for your fast reply.

I can boot in safe mode, but it still does the immediate log off thing. I also tried safe mode with command prompt hoping i could run system restore from the prompt, but i still cant log on.

thanks

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
If you start in Safemode and go to admin, try not putting a password in and hit Ok or Cancel

I know you say you get to login screen and this article is for "Windows XP logon screen does not appear and the computer continuously restarts " but it might do the trick by replacing the kernel.dll if it is corrupt and doing you in.

http://support.micro...com/kb/q310396/

TakeBK

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hey guys,

After thinking about it for another minute.

Do you think the OP's (SAM) Security Accounts Manager, is F'ed up and locking the OP out ?

Did you try typing a password more than 3 times wrong one night?It might have locked you out.Or if you were infected and someone was trying to get in and got it wrong 3 times.

I don't know how, but one of the Geeks might know how to bypass/reset it. Just a thought to throw on the table.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF that were the case TakeBK....he wouldn't be getting in at all...it would just lock the login screen....what he's describing is that he actually logs ALL the way into windows...and it craps out and kicks him back to the login screen....

you say a full on repair did ABSOLUTELY nothing?...this MAY be the virus making life difficult for you....i'll do a little research on the issue...as i know we've had a few of the same type of issues here before...but in the mean time....i suggest you slave the current hard drive into another machine and start backing up any important data...as i don't know if this will end well

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
If you are going to slave it to another machine try running some AV scans on it as well .Just to see if it picks anything up.

drummerstp

drummerstp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Did you try typing a password more than 3 times wrong one night?It might have locked you out.Or if you were infected and someone was trying to get in and got it wrong 3 times.

Good thought. I know I didn't try more than 3, but's it's possible someone else might. But I think dsenette is right about the login screen.

you say a full on repair did ABSOLUTELY nothing?

The only thing it did is screw up some of my drivers. The display's a little funny now. I guess i had an unusually display driver. I slipstreamed my XP disc with SP2 and used that disc, so at least I have SP2.

but in the mean time....i suggest you slave the current hard drive into another machine and start backing up any important data

I wish i could. The hard drives are sata. This is the only machine i have with a sata bus. If this doesn't work, I'm kinda hosed. I try to keep most sensitive data (pics, music, cubase files, etc.) on a seperate drive. But I do have a lot of cubase data on the main drive right now.

thanks again for all the replies

Advertisements

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Well if you have anything of worth to you on there you can get a PCI / SATA controller card so you can plug it into another Machine.

drummerstp

drummerstp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Well if you have anything of worth to you on there you can get a PCI / SATA controller card so you can plug it into another Machine.

Good Idea. Should I do that and just wipe the bad drive clean? I mean, I've tried almost everything. I wonder if that would just be easier.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Perhaps, booting up on some other os, trouble is that I have seen it done, I have a link too, but, and this is a big but for me, I have absolutely no idea which bootup os is right for this situation, feedback please. um, does one hear a chorus of "Ah, the blind cavelry have arrived" then?

http://www.frozentec...tent/livecd.php

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
While slaving up your HD to another computer you can run a whole set of repair utilities. Run The other computer's AV and other antimalware programs (Ad-Aware, spybot, Ewido, to mention some). Run Checkdisk, disk cleaner and disk defragmenter. Also, download install and run CCleaner.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...you can install windows on a secondary drive without losing data...as long as you have the spare space for windows on the drive...you COULD put your slave in as master and the master as slave...install windows on the original second drive...and go from there...