Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS LAG

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Alright Wannabe. I'm gonna run the scans the way you suggest.

I'll need a while to get all this done, with being sick and school and work and all... These tests take time lol

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The longer the tests run, the better the results. You want to test them good and hard. :whistling:

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well, tests are done. As far as I can tell, its not any of my hardware, and definately not the ram.

I ran 3 passes to all 3 sticks in everywhich order you can think of.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok....

Download, install, and run WinAudit. Save a report in either Excel or HTML format. Zip the saved report and attach it to a PM to me.

Note: If you save the report in HTML format, it will generate three files. I need only the one named "rightframe.html".

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In task manager: What is cpu usage (%) when the computer is idle and what is it like when you run a simple process such as clicking My Computer. Also in task manager, do you see any processes that consume a lot of cpu resources? Check this with IE running.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How attached are you to the Alcohol 120 you have installed. There are some issues with that application causing Windows Explorer crashes, Internet Explorer crashes, system slowdowns, and it does not play well with Norton Ghost. If your trial version is nearly over and you don't intend on buying the product, uninstall it and see if the system speed comes back up. Be careful, though...Alcohol also has some issues uninstalling... :whistling: Overall, it's a pretty buggy program for being so highly rated by so many...go figure.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I would have never known Alcohol has these bugs... Ironically enough, also, the uninstall just failed.

Should I remove it manually?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok, I just uninstalled it, following some instructions I found on alcohol forums.

I'll let you know if the lag has dissipated shortly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did I mention it had a buggy uninstaller? :whistling:

If you can manually uninstall it, please do.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Nope, lag isnt gone... And [bleep] I thought we had it

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
So did I as that was the only obvious conflict I saw in the report. Let me dig in a little deeper. That what I like about WinAudit...it lays the system bare for you. There were an awful lot of DCOM errors, but I attributed them to a disabled network device I also found in the report. I'll get back to you... :whistling:

Edited by wannabe1, 08 April 2006 - 07:49 PM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well the Intel network device is intergrated into the motherboard, it never worked. I disabled that from the bios though... I'm surprized its in that report

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Everything is in that report. :whistling: That's why we transfer by PM. Have a good look at it...probably the most comprehensive report you can get from a machine.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm still waiting on your input, I know you're busy, but I just want to make sure you didnt forget on me :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've been researching the errors on the applications side of this, but there are so many of them that I just can't figure out what's causing what. :blink:

When you next experience some serious lag behavior, make not of the time...then go into the event viewer and look under applications. Post back with any hangs or errors that occurred at the time the lag started to happen.

Just seems like about every application in Windows is hanging at one time or another. :whistling: