Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS LAG

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Sounds about right...lol

Advertisements

VoidHawk

VoidHawk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
not that this helps you, but my problem mysteriously went away. I'm thinking that cable might have fixed some dns issue.

weird.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hey... I'm still around you know !! :whistling:

The lag I can live with, but the scanner bugging up I really can't have... It's utterly unusable and I havent the slightest idea why it started lagging like this. I need help!

As for looking in the error logs to check when I have lag, nothing coincides.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

As for looking in the error logs to check when I have lag, nothing coincides.

Sorry, Big Guy...been waiting for these results.

Have you looked to see if there are updated drivers for your scanner?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Yeah, no drivers... This printer/scanner's barely 6 months old, they didnt come out with new ones yet.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Still waiting to get this resolved... The only new thing I can bring to the table is this : by some act of god, once when I turned on the printer-scanner the built-in card reader didn't engage into the registry, and the mycomputer window, now displaying the scanner, worked normally. That means that the card reader is somehow causing this, most likely.

I'd really like to see this resolved soon. Not being able to use my scanner's very irritating and somewhat hinders normal operations here.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

What happens if you disconnect the scanner and uninstall the software. Does your performance return to normal or at least near normal? Have you checked to see if your scanner is on the Windows compatability list?

Edited by wannabe1, 28 April 2006 - 12:16 AM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'll be a monkey [bleep] it lol...

I had already tried reinstalling the driver, but the printer-scanner still wasnt working right, but after uninstalling it last night, paradoxally, that lag I've been working so hard to get rid of, is gone it would appear.

Only thing left now is to make the printer-scanner work. I downloaded the most recent off the canon website and install that later, after my weekly scans and backup. I'll keep you posted.

jnovocaine

jnovocaine

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I think it's time for a new computer dude!

jnovocaine

jnovocaine

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I think it's time for a new computer dude!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jnovocaine:

If you have nothing productive to add, please refrain from posting. Thanks...

wannabe1

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
On the bright side, I've confirmed beyond any doubt that it was the canon driver lagging my computer.

As soon as I installed the one from the canon website, and rebooted, my system was lagging EXACTLY in the same pattern as before. Uninstalling and rebooting once more, I find my system lag-free once again.

I'm pretty happy with that, but now its another problem, im on the market for a new driver, for my canon mp-130...

I'll have to read around, there has to be SOME precedent for driver conflicts or something... But for now I'm at a loss what to do about it, unless you guys have driver sites I'm unaware of.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Well nobody else on the web seems to have this problem. And after much consideration and fiddling, I have seen that it's the card-reader part of the multifunction printer-scanner-cardreader that is lagging up the mycomputer console.

By disabling it in the device manager, mycomputer becomes usable again, and I can scan and print normally. The driver itself, I'm finding hard to tell if it really was causing the system-wide lag. This is one heck of a wierd problem.

Reason I'm bugging you guys again is to ask if there have been any windows updates in the last 2 months that could have interfered with the card-reader ?