Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Bulking" up the computer

• Please log in to reply

mrdice07

mrdice07

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum here and have a few questions. Right now I am in the process of trying to update my computer, but am not sure where to start. Eventually, I want to replace the RAM and Processor, but I am not sure if this will help with my motherboard. Because I am new to computers, I have been reading up on all of this, and came accross my motherboard, the Asus A8V-E Deluxe, is not quite capable of "overclocking."

This poses a problem, because I wanted to update my one Gb of 512Mb X2 Corsair Value RAM to 2 Gb of Corsair XMS Pro RAM. I am not sure if my motherboard is capable of running this and using the RAM's full potential. I hear a great deal about this CAS and latency, and I think the motherboard might not be able to take advantage of this, or this "overclocking." Also, I read another review on the motherboard I have, and it stated that in the BIOS I am unable to change (some component) from 2T to the preferrable 1T for the RAM. Please realise, I am saying a lot of computer lingo but not understanding what it really means.

So, besides wondering about my motherboards capability of the RAM, I was also wondering about a new processor. I was looking to replace my AMD Athlon 3200+ 2.0 GHz with a dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200.

With all of this information, I am wondering whether I need to replace the motherboard first, then get the RAM and/or processor, or if I even need a new motherboard to get either of the other two. I know there are a lot of possibilities and probably missing information, but I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice- the internet is too big nowadays, I can't find the information I need!

Thanks again,

Computer Rookie

Advertisements

mrdice07

mrdice07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry, I just realised I should have put this in another section for the building a computer. I'll move it there now.