Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High Temperature HD

• Please log in to reply

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi GTG,

When my pc is idle the temp. of my HD is always above 52C. When I'm scanning the pc for viruses or performing something similar which involves hard work for the HD it goes up to 60C!!!

I would like to know what you guys suggest I should do to get my HD temp. down. At the moment I have 3 fans (Cpu/front/back). Should I increase the fans or there are alternative solutions?

Help is greatly appreciated!
Alan :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
How are you measuring the temperature? Are you using a temp probe or relying on software? Software is not always accurate. You can get hard drive coolers (ones I have seen are actually a fan that is attached to the base of the hd) I don't know how effective they are, never used one. Feel the hd with your hand. Does it actually feel that hot?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Speedfan reports my HD being at 62° C all the time but when i touch it is only warm. I finally just stopped that reading from showing in speedfan.

SRX660

alandemartino

alandemartino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Infact I'm relying on spped fan. I should point out that the temp. from the BIOS and speedfan's readings are the same, so if speedfan is wrong about my HD temp. so is the BIOS. Yeah, I second what you've just said...when you touch it it doesn't feel that warm, but it worried me seeing the temp above 55C on my HD :whistling:

Alan :blink:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Everest Home has sensor

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

alandemartino

alandemartino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Speed fan's temp and Everest's vary by 1C at most :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will shutdown and stay off if it is too hot, which you probably knew anyway, so until it does that, and if it does only feel warm, that's about it unless you move to the North Pole

alandemartino

alandemartino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Then I don't have to worry...Atm I'm planning to stay here, i.e. far from North Pole :whistling: :blink: :help: :)