Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows firewall

• Please log in to reply

voltman

voltman

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
How do I keep windows firewall from turning off on every reboot?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Windows Firewall blocks incoming data, most third party firewalls block incoming and outgoing data, Zone Alarm is a popular choice

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

If you have a particular reason for using the XP Firewall

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

If you do not have an XP CD then you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Another consideration is that security applications which do not run correctly can be an indication of malware

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you run antimalware scans (Antivirus, antispyware etc).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also....if you already have a third party firewall...such as norton's internet security firewall....alot of times those will disable the windows firewall on their own

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Norton definitely will disable the Windows Firewall on every reboot. There is no way I've found to make it stop, so if anyone knows, I'd like to hear it. I put a QL icon because I use both firewalls (hey, two locked doors are better than one, and I've never had a conflict)

Johanna

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is disabling WMI still an installation option of NIS