Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nearly got jacked!

• Please log in to reply

PC101

PC101

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Howdy!

I hit a site today that gave me a pop up asking for a "Yes" before I proceeded. I said "No" and then tried to close the browser the site was on, but then the pop came back up. I tried to close it two/three times but that dang pop up would come back up each time I had attempted to close the browser. Finally, I had to put the pop up right next to the "X" of my IE browser so I could click one right after the other FAST to get it to close. Grr! :)

Almost immediately, my system came to a grinding hault! :help: A couple days ago I reinstalled everything on my pc but hadn't downloaded/installed Spybot & Ad-Ware yet. :blink: I went into Safe Mode, DL them and got it worked out. :whistling: BUT, now I want to report the site as one with potential ad/spyware but I'm not sure how of the following...

1. How can I double check the site without visiting it and getting hosed again? Admittedly, I could have been something I picked up yesterday BUT, the system was running fun until I visited the site. I just want to be sure before I point fingers!

2. If it was this site... how can I identify exactly what crap it was that they put on my computer?

Thoughts? Suggestions??

Thanks!

Lyte

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hey ScHwErV,

Thanks for responding. :whistling:

Oh... I was able to get my sys cleaned up. I guess I didn't pose my question well the first time. Sorry.

My question was... is there a way to check a site for infections without getting infected??

Thanks!

Lyte

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I read too fast, lol

I still say you should stop using IE. you have a bit more chance of revisiting the site safely (though I really would not recommend it) if you installed firefox and locked it down by disabling javascript using its options. If you wish to do this (and you should anyway), the userbar that says 'firefox user' in my sig is linked straight to the firefox download site.

The site might have put a lot of malware on your computer. They tend to be opportunistic in that way. You may not be able to identify them straight away, because they will make your comp slow down to a crawl. These days, you don't even have to know what is on your comp to get rid of it. Programs like spybot and ad-aware, which you've used, will find any bad guys. If you wish to see what you're removing, those programs will show you the details. I believe spybot names and links you to info for everything it finds. ad-aware is slightly less intuitive in that aspect. Both of these programs should give you a gist of what you're removing.

If you have a bit of spare cash though, I strongly recommend xoftspy as replacement for ad-aware and spybot. xoftspy has helped me clean up a system with over 500 items of malware in 2 scans, and I didn't even have to boot into safe mode. You can download the trial here: Link to Rogue anti-spyware program removed

If you absolutely have to go back to that site, you should google for sandboxes and learn how to use them. This might be difficult. They're a rather advanced way to anticipate and roll back problem software. I would really not go back to a site like that.

I wonder though, if you're going to report it, the people who monitor that kind of thing must have better software to check these things and not get infected. It's something that normal users shouldn't be expected to do by themselves

Edited by Kat, 06 April 2006 - 07:22 PM.

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hey Force,

Thanks for the response and advise! :whistling:

No, I don't absolutely have to go back to the site. I just wanted to be armed with facts before reporting the site.

Thanks again!

Lyte

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Programs like spybot and ad-aware, which you've used, will find any bad guys.

Errrm, no. :blink: Spybot and AdAware most certainly will NOT find any and all bad guys on the computer. Unfortunately, those two programs are just not enough anymore to handle a lot of the newer malware out there. :whistling: There are far better alternatives...some free, some paid.

If you have a bit of spare cash though, I strongly recommend xoftspy as replacement for ad-aware and spybot.

First, I am removing your link for this product from your post. As a Geek in Training, you should know all about ROGUE Anti-Spyware Programs Xoftspy was until very recently listed as a Rogue program. Because of that, we still refuse to promote it on this forum. :help: It is still not a very reliable alternative to programs like Ewido and SpySweeper.

PC101...as a GIT, you should also be well aware that Spybot and AdAware alone aren't enough. Also, simply because you see nothing bad in a HJT log, or the pc is running faster...does that really mean the pc is fully cleaned now? Nope, unfortunately. I still recommend you follow ScHwErV's instructions and post in the Malware forum. I'd be interested to see some deeper scans that what HJT will show. :)

PC101

PC101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

I still recommend you follow ScHwErV's instructions and post in the Malware forum. I'd be interested to see some deeper scans that what HJT will show. :help:

Okie Dokie, I'll double check my system again! I'll post a HJT too for y'all to critque. :blink:

Thanks for the insight! :whistling:

Lyte