Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

winXP login issues!

• Please log in to reply

k1dfreeze

k1dfreeze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello again,

I'm not sure which topic this would best fit, so mods, go ahead and move if in wrong section...

ok, so heres the problem...I d/l a connection booster (TCPOptimizer I believe is the name of the program) and right after running it, my laptop won't let me log in to normal mode. I can boot up in safe mode, (edit) but everytime I try to login to Normal Mode and I click my user (it's set to admin too), it reads loading settings, then my desktop bg flashes, and it then says saving settings and logging off. So essentially, it logs in and logs off immediately...I've done the following with no luck:

ran these programs:
- McAffee Quick Clean Lite (7-pass cleaner)
- CCleaner (clean and reg fix)
- AVG Free Anti-Virus
- Ewido Anti-Malware
- Spybot Search & Destroy
- Ad-Aware SE Personal
- Disspy
- SpyCatcher Express
- CWShredder
- Abexo Free Registry Cleaner

logs for the following are at the end of this post:
- HJT
- Event Viewer
- Silent Runners

I've also disabled all startup programs to see if it was a bad line in one of those programs, but even with all disabled, I still cant log in to normal mode. My initial reasoning was this problem was due to that program I d/l, so I restored the settings and deleted the program, again with no luck. There is however one file left in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\TCPOPTIMIZER.EXE-00AFC21B.pf (which I just deleted in DOS)

I ran system restore to the day before I installed that program, and that did not help either.

What is wrong...I surely don't know...

Thanks in advance

Ryan

HJT Log:

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Event Viewer Log:
I'm getting this same pattern of error/warning messages repeatedly

Event Type: Error
Event Source: LoadPerf
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3001
Date: 4/3/2006
Time: 12:17:40 PM
User: N/A
Computer: RY
Description:
The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 4836, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: e4 12 00 00 e2 12 00 00 ......
0008: e3 12 00 00 97 02 00 00 ...?...

Event Type: Warning
Event ID: 2006
Time: 12:17:40 PM
Description:
LastCounter and LastHelp values of performance registry is corrupted and needs to be updated. The first and second DWORDs in Data Section are the original values while the third and forth DWORDs in Data Section are the updated new values.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: e2 12 00 00 e3 12 00 00 ......
0008: 08 13 00 00 09 13 00 00 ........

Event ID: 3011
Time: 12:17:37 PM
Description:
Unloading the performance counter strings for service WmiApRpl (WmiApRpl) failed. The Error code is the first DWORD in Data section.

Data:
0000: f2 03 00 00 3b 07 00 00 ...;...

Event ID: 3001
Time: 12:17:37 PM
Description:
The performance counter name string value in the registry is incorrectly formatted. The bogus string is 4836, the bogus index value is the first DWORD in Data section while the last valid index values are the second and third DWORD in Data section.

Data:
0000: e4 12 00 00 e2 12 00 00 ......
0008: e3 12 00 00 cf 01 00 00 ......

Silent Runners log:

edited out silent runners log...also attatched as a .txt file

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

k1dfreeze

k1dfreeze

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
my copy of windowsXP was included on my system disc provided by Sony. i do not believe i have a seperate XP disc...i can check when i get home...im on my school's computer here trying to fix my laptop