Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unshared Printers Accessible On Network

• Please log in to reply

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Greetings!

I have three XP Home SP2 systems connected via a 3Com 3C510 router. One system (mainsys) has an HP printer (HP_Printer) connected to the USB port. This printer is NOT shared.

Users on the other 2 systems are able to add this printer via the Add A Printer wizard by choosing the network printer option and entering \\mainsys\HP_printer. They are then able to print to this printer.

I thought a printer had to be shared before other systems could print to it.

Note: In case you are wondering, the router does have a Printer Server built in, but it is only for the on-board parallel port. The manual specifically states that for USB printers, you need to attach the printer to a PC and use File and Print Sharing to share the printer.

Any ideas on why this printer is accessible without being shared?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are the sharing options set to also allow all users to make changes to files and folders

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thanks for the response.

File and Printer Sharing is enabled in the LAN Properties. There is a Shared Folder on each system that is accessible from the other systems.

In addition, I checked the Computer Management/System Tools/Shared Folders/Shares and found this:

print$ Path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers

Does this info explain what is going on?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When a printer is installed on a network, default printer permissions are assigned that allow all users to print, and allow select groups to manage the printer, the documents sent to it, or both. Because the printer is available to all users on the network, you might want to limit access for some users by assigning specific printer permissions. For example, you could give all nonadministrative users in a department the Print permission and give all managers the Print and Manage Documents permissions. In this way, all users and managers can print documents, but managers can also change the print status of any document sent to the printer.

Windows provides three levels of printing security permissions: Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents. When multiple permissions are assigned to a group of users, the least restrictive permissions apply. However, when Deny is applied, it takes precedence over any permission. The following is a brief explanation of the types of tasks a user can perform at each permission level.

Full control is also the default level for shares

The user can perform the tasks associated with the Print permission and has complete administrative control of the printer. The user can pause and restart the printer, change spooler settings, share a printer, adjust printer permissions, and change printer properties. By default, the Manage Printers permission is assigned to members of the administrators group.

By default, members of the administrators group have full access, which means that the users are assigned the Print, Manage Documents, and Manage Printers permissions.

If all the accounts are administrator accounts it seems any changes you make won't affect this

Setting limited user accounts for them would

Or switch the printer off :whistling:

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thank you for the detailed response. Just so that I understand it completely, I hope you mind if I ask a few questions.

You said: "When a printer is installed on a network..."
Is a printer attached to the USB port of one of the systems on the network also considered to be "on the network" even if it isn't shared on that system?

You said: "Full control is also the default level for shares"
Does 'shares' include my situation, where the printer property dialog box is set to "Do not share this printer"?

And finally, why does everything I've looked up say "A printer must be shared in order for other users on the network to use it"? After that they go through the instructions for sharing a printer and assigning a share name via the printer properties dialog box. Nothing ever says that a printer attached to a system on a home network will automatically be available to all users.

Thanks again!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is unlikely to have installed the option itself, but it seems if they have administrator accounts there isn't anything stopping them

If you adjust the firewall it will probably stop all sharing

Have you checked the print server settings on the router to see if it can be disabled

Depending where the printer is in relation to the main PC, switching it off would stop it

A print monitor would stop it, though it may depend on limited accounts

PaperCut Quota is a print monitoring and charging system for Windows networks. It allows you to assign print and Internet usage credits to user, and deduct them as they are using the service. If credits are used up, the user will be blocked from printing or Internet usage. The program offers a flexible restrictions scheme that also allows for unrestricted use (can be set per-user), yet denying print jobs that exceed a specified number of pages, use a selected color mode and more. This way the system can be used in a user-pays environment, or simply to monitor usage and limit excess use or abuse of resources. In order to control Internet usage, your network must use a supported proxy server (ISA Server, Squid, WinGate and FreeProxy). PaperCut Quota is free for small networks with up to 5 users, or on a standalone PC.

http://www.snapfiles...a/papercut.html

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Keith,

Let me clarify one item: I *want* this printer to be accessible to all users! This is my home network and I want all systems to be able to print to this printer. I'm not complaining that it is accessible to all users, I am simply trying to understand *why* the other systems can print to it when it is not shared.

That said, I'm not sure you answered my lastest set of questions. I'm still trying to uderstand why this printer is 'shared' even though the Printer Properties box says Do Not Share This Printer.

The router's print server is only for the parallel port on the router itself, so that can't be the issue.

My "users" are my kids and it was I who added the printer to their systems via the Add A Printer wizard. They do not have the expertise to have changed any settings that would have allowed the printer to be accessible.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could repair the OS because it should not share a printer it is not supposed to, it could be a security issue

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thanks for the help and suggestions!

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
turn off ur windows firewall. i had the same problem and all i had to do was turn my firewall off

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
daniel,

I'm not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Are you saying that if I turn OFF my firewall the printers will no longer be accessible to the other users on my home network?

I WANT these printers to be accessible, so I don't really have a "problem", I'm just trying to understand what is going on.

Are you saying that if I turn off my firewall, I will then be able to share the printers in the normal manner? i.e. Give them a share name in the printers properties dialog box?

Thanks!

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

turn off ur windows firewall. i had the same problem and all i had to do was turn my firewall off

yer im saying if u turn the firewall off the printers will be accesible.