Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent help needed

• Please log in to reply

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi again! I am a member of Geeks and have gone thru all the initial process. I've got an urgent prob and need assistance asap. I cannot open webpages...they min to bottom tray. when I click on them, i see a shadow go from the tray to the upper left part of the desktop. when I try to right click them and select maximize or restore...they SOMetimes open..but today, they are NOT. I barely got onto geeks! I'm afraid i wont be able to get onto the internet for help at all. I posted in the "chat" area...waited for over an hour.and got no reply at all.

I am afraid to even navigate away from this page! My computer guy who has been hleping me for a few years, recently dumped me because I was using Geeks...and "messing everything up"....so you guys are ALL I have. I need my computer for work....please respond as soon as you can.
Lisa
lissuzncats

Advertisements

Atribune

Atribune

HijackThis Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 956 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi lissuzncats,

After reviewing your log I think this is the right place to help you.

Please click Start > Run > regedit /e C:\windowsize.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Document Windows"

Then click OK. The file C:\windowsize.txt should be created now.
Find that file and post the content.

Regards,

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok...here is the file's contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Document Windows]
"Maximized"="no"
"height"=hex:00,00,00,00
"width"=hex:00,00,00,80
"x"=hex:00,00,00,80
"y"=hex:00,00,00,00

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Good job. Save that file since we can use it as a backup.

Now copy the part in bold below into notepad and save it as Appid.reg
Set Filetype to "all files"

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Document Windows]
"Maximized"="yes"
"height"=hex:00,00,00,00
"width"=hex:00,00,00,80
"x"=hex:00,00,00,80
"y"=hex:00,00,00,00

Doubleclick that file and confirm you want to merge it with the registry.

The next window you open should be maximized. Open exactly one.
Now drag the corners to the size you prefer and close the window using the Close button (red with white cross).

Reboot and try again.
Let me know if Windows "remembered" the changes.

Regards,

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I am not sure I did this right... I didnt quite understand your instructions the first time I read them near the end. I am pretty sure I opened 2-3 windows after I clicked "ok to merge"....could that have made a difference because I'm still having the same problem. Everything minimizes to bottom toolbar....sheesh!

THANKS SO much for your help.......now what? LOL Shall I start over and try again? if so, do I delete the file I just made? <copied the items in bold into notepad...etc>
Lisa

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You can use the same file, but it is important to open only 1 window after merging.
This window should open maximized (if it doesn't, we have a different problem then I suspected).

Then you drag that window to the proper size and close it using the "Close" button.

Then reboot and let me know how the first window you open behaves.

Regards,

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
ok, I do see an improvement in my webpage browser however, when I try to double click on an email to open it to a full page, it still minimizes to the bottom toolbar...any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!!
Lisa

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
[size=3]One more question, I have the Registry Mechanic Program that I run about once a month. Do you think that this is causing problems? I know some people dont rec using a registry program.
thanks
lisa

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi Lisa,

Are you telling me this only helped for your browser and not for other windows?

If so, try this please.

From the Start menu, select Control Panel.
Double-click Display.
In the window that appears, from the drop-down menu under "Theme:", select Windows Classic. Click OK.

Let me know if that helps.
Also let me know if you changed anything recently in font size, video drivers or anything that might be related.

Regards,

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Registry mechanic, like most registry cleaners, needs an experienced handler to do any good.

Does it make backups?

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
The only thing that I am noticing that is still a problem is when I am in my email, outlook express, and try to maximize or OPEN an email to full size ...the window still minimizes down to the toolbar. I must then right click on the toolbar and select "Maximize" in order to open an email. Of course it still shows up in the pane below the emails in the inbox.

Yes Registry Mechanic DOES backup at each session. Sheesh, I paid $40 for this program. Can you give me any hints on what I CAN do in Reg Mechanic where I won't mess anything up?

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
changed to classic....emails still wont open without right clicking to "maximize"

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
As long as you make backups, it's OK to use.
I only use registry cleaners after I uninstall software and I only remove entries they suggest, that look like they might be related to that software.
If you think this is related with your last Registry mechanic session, apply the backup that was made.

The problem with OE is that the mail windows never open maximized.
You can make them open full-screen, but never truly maximized.
What you would have to do is find the window, which is probably too small to display or outside the desktop view.
Then drag it to the proper location and size and then close it using the "Close button"
This behavior is described here:
http://support.micro...com/kb/q190277/

If you look in the backups of Regsitry Mechanic you may find keys that look like this:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\<number>\Shell

If we knew what <number> we needed we would be halfway there. :whistling:

Regards,