Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Image to Text

• Please log in to reply

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I have a 30 page document that I have scanned into my computer, of course it is an image. I was wondering if there is a program that can change the image into text, like a normal word document. There is no other copy of this document in electrical format, the person that wrote it copy is corrupt. If it needs to be edited the whole thing would have to be retyped.

Thanks for any help
Sorry for being slack and not helping here my self :whistling:
Michael

Edited by Michael, 04 April 2006 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most scanners have OCR software so you might want to check the options already installed. There aren't many free ones

http://www.charactel...re/InstSocr.exe

The SimpleOCR freeware demonstrates the power of our engine and is the only OCR application that is completely free

SimpleOCR enables you to convert scanned documents to text files or Word documents. You can simply insert a printed document into your scanner, and SimpleOCR will scan and analyze the text and present you with a spell checker view that allows you to correct incorrectly identified words or spelling mistakes. The result can then be saved to a text file or Word (.doc) document. The free version works with printed documents, and also includes a trial option for recognition of handwritten documents.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Thanks Keith

That program is very good :whistling: dose just what I wan't.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's good to know, OCR is an art and if the programme is not good it can be quicker to retype

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
It all depends on the scan quality. I am just playing with it right now, testing it all out.

Imagine who long it would take to type 30 pages, then check it for errors! :whistling: This is far better.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have Speech recognition for that because I am usually worn out after typing my username and password :whistling: