Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to buy: Mac or Windows PC

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Macs are not over priced if you configure a system similarly plus they look better.

go to this link to hear a podcast (go to the middle) and he talks about macs not being much more expensize

http://www.maccast.c...ccast-03082006/

I don't do the maccast i just think it's a usefull mac resource

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They do cost more, ive yet to see one cost less than what i could build the same for in there desktop range and the laptops i havent seen a mac be cheaper than a similar laptop. But what do you expect for laptops using windows its a more aggresive and healthy market its not just competition with apple its competition between the different companies which apple doesnt have they sell there own stuff and buy there hardware from the same company with no choice, before they used IBM now they use Intel.

And i just looked and its still true a top of the range ferrari laptop from acer costs less than the new macbook pro at a simlar config, and a top of the range dell XPS configured costs the same as the top mac laptop and the dell is alot faster , and the dell laptops on the whole are cheaper for the slower models same goes for acer. You also get a huge choice of peripherals its hard to get drivers for some things for anything but winxp.

Also you have to factor in maintenance costs, apple hardware is notouriously difficult to maintain, i offered to take a crack at repairing the old imacs when i was at school and they just told me not to bother it was impossible to get parts and its cheaper to buy new dells than fix the macs. The intel switch should in theory make this easier to do but you never know.

I would still go for a x86 windows system, and you can always put OSx on it and it shouldnt void the warranty.

Alot of people state the fashion choice that apple hardware and software looks better and is more functional than windows software and sure it looks good to look at but so do alot of the windows laptops i prefer the looks of alienware laptops and the ferrari and XPS look great, and alot of laptops in general look great now, much better than mac for me since i never really liked the look of macs. And for desktops the better looks went out with the imac, you can get great looking PC cases now that look better than apple cases and are much more practical.

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Its worth saying that putting OS X on a normal windows box is illegal

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
well you pay let's say a $200 premium for a mac vs dell plus remember you have to get media center and software, ext. because the mac has frontrow, ilife

anyway i like my and i think people should switch anyway listen to that audio file i had in the last post to see what us mac users mean

thanks for listening

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

i prefer the looks of alienware laptops and the ferrari and XPS look great, and alot of laptops in general look great now, much better than mac

one thing to note is that those are (gaming pcs) pardon the expression and a very flashy most macs are made to look more proffesional and clean (that's cause steve jobs is at the wheel)

alienware is nice if you like that kind of thing but can you imagion a CEO taking that to a meeting

Edited by Josiah, 10 April 2006 - 11:42 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They arent all like that, ive personally seen alot of business people with them and they are popular among many government agencies. But i dont think the macs look professional either in fact if you haveseen what the alienwares look like in the not daft colours they look very very proffesional the brushed silver models and the black and dark blue are probably the best looking laptops ive ever seen, and the ferrari model laptops look a bit weird in pictures but when you actually see them they are mutch more subtle and suit the red trim. So i cant see looks being a huge advantage for macs like they were either.

Yes they are gaming PCs but gaming PCs are pretty much the fastest PCs you can get thats conicedence more than design, the fact that you get a full blown gaming pc for your money in windows systems and for a mac you get something that wont game is a consideration its nice to play games its a good method of relaxation and for that kind of money you kind of expect that ability and those laptops will play the best games the way they were meant to in near life like glory.

But on software terms the mac stuff is good but the windows stuff everyone moans but it was never something they spent alot of money on but its not that bad these days and considering how much really good opensource software there is you dont need to use it or any of the bundled windows software as there is fantastic free alternatives.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I agree with you on two points

1 gaming pcs are fast

2 opensource software rocks

i don't agree XPS and alienware look better than macs but thats opinion

by the way i have use mac and pc and so far i like my mac

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Dudes lets let Exdeus decided what looks best since hes the one thats going to be using it : )

Edited by lt b0ngo, 10 April 2006 - 12:54 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Dudes lets let Exdeus decided what looks best since hes the one thats going to be using it : )

good point, after all he is the one that has to look at it everyday. Just because one person likes the look of a Mac over an X86 system doesn't mean everyone will.

I have seen all the Macs, have a Apple store in a local mall here, and of course have seen the other laptops out there, my personal opinion, the Mac laptops look cheap. but once again thats a personal opinion.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Yes, he is right looks is an opinion you have to look at the cash you have vs. the features you need

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I was just reading a review set that was digged just now and im actually really surprised, for alot of things the G5 systems are alot better than the new intel systems, and the things the intels are good at a really old AMD system is beating them. Im pretty surprised http://www.macologis...read.php?t=2602 its a bit thick on the benchmarks but its not as bad as some stuff ive read, it might be useful.

animatedguy

animatedguy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Haha, Well it actually depends on what you are actually planning to want to use the computer for (other than work). EG: a macintosh computer is great for animation, music production and isnt great for gaming (though there is games out there for the mac..) Windows on the other hand is good for businesses, personal use and video games! (amazing for games actually). Both of them can get the job done, but it's all down to your personal choice and liking. =] :whistling: (Macintosh tho, is very expencive compared to the Windows or PC computer...)

So Choose wisely! and i hope this helped you out!

-Richard. (First post on the forum. yay ^_^)

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
intel macs running windows in bootcamp is faster than some comperable windows pcs and everyone knows intel is slower for "desktops" than AMD ,plus the intel macs are faster than the single core G5s if runing universal applications; but not if running PPC apps

as a general rule macs are great if you don't mind learning a new OS but most die hard pc or linux users may not like it

it is also great to get more ram in the new macs from the factory it's hard to do it yourself and you'll be glad you did when using roseta

that is where the $$$ come in

Edited by Josiah, 11 April 2006 - 11:13 AM.

animatedguy

animatedguy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

intel macs running windows in bootcamp is faster than some comperable windows pcs and everyone knows intel is slower for "desktops" than AMD ,plus the intel macs are faster than the single core G5s if runing universal applications; but not if running PPC apps

as a general rule macs are great if you don't mind learning a new OS but most die hard pc or linux users may not like it

it is also great to get more ram in the new macs from the factory it's hard to do it yourself and you'll be glad you did when using roseta

that is where the $$$ come in

True, there is also the new Macintosh 10.5 OS coming out which would be pretty amazing too! :whistling:

Edited by animatedguy, 11 April 2006 - 03:07 PM.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Bootcamp is in Beta now but will be standard (if all goes well for apple) in 10.5, 10.5 is also supposed to have faster search (by the way spotlight search is a fast as they advertise ,but it dashboard isn't) and a better finder...

Just remember if you buy an intel mac or the intel macbook (formerly ibook) which should be out in the next mo. or so if the rumurs are true; only Universal Apps will run at full speed.

Just a note the intel Core Due is to my knowledge the fastest chip intel offers, and apple must have got one deal cause it's expensive to buy for PCs!

Edited by Josiah, 11 April 2006 - 03:17 PM.