Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to buy: Mac or Windows PC

• Please log in to reply

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I have had a mac and dell and a compaq the only one i had problems with is the compaq

as far a tech support goes i can say compaqs stinks, dells i nevver used and apples is encredibly fast you don't get put on hold for 2hr. to get an i don't know answer.

ilife is great for multimedia and keynote makes (in my opinion) beautiful slideshows but you have to live with the computer you buy so chose well :whistling:

Advertisements

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
MAC MAC MAC

for sure!!

your a college student you dont have the time to worry about viruses, ILLEGAL OPERRATIONS! SPAM etc.

mac has speed,virus free,and also there new leapord is releasing with windows ability. its a 2 in one deal!

i just recently switched to mac and omg i am impressed i would never go back to windows.

i still get night mares from my old pentium 3 dell

do the right thing get a mac.

ankush

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Like I said windows is awsome until you try mac than. your stuck with mac forever!

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

MAC MAC MAC

for sure!!

your a college student you dont have the time to worry about viruses, ILLEGAL OPERRATIONS! SPAM etc.

mac has speed,virus free,and also there new leapord is releasing with windows ability. its a 2 in one deal!

i just recently switched to mac and omg i am impressed i would never go back to windows.

i still get night mares from my old pentium 3 dell

do the right thing get a mac.

ankush

no operating system is safe from malicious code writers. whether it's Mac, Linux, or Windows all systems are vulnerable and able to be attacked. Yes most viruses, worms, trojans etc. are targetted toward Windows, but that is only because Windows is the most widely used OS out. As more people go to Linux and Mac then a shift will occur and virus makers will start targetting those operating systems more often. It's the nature of the beast. Now that Mac has released the beta version of Bootcamp that will open even more doors for Mac users to get infected since they will use bootcamp to put Windows on their machines.

In February of 2006, two new viruses were detected that target only the Mac OSX or higher operating systems. Inqtana.A Worm and Leap.A Virus

Like I said windows is awsome until you try mac than. your stuck with mac forever!

I must be one of the oddest people out there, I tried a mac, have decided that I will never go back.
I will continue to run Windows, and when it gets useless, I will go full time Linux. My custom box allows me the pleasure that a mac user, regardless of it being a laptop or desktop, doesn't have. Ease of upgrading. there is no special order manufacturer parts only. That is why I will never go Mac.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

no operating system is safe from malicious code writers. whether it's Mac, Linux, or Windows all systems are vulnerable and able to be attacked. Yes most viruses, worms, trojans etc. are targetted toward Windows, but that is only because Windows is the most widely used OS out. As more people go to Linux and Mac then a shift will occur and virus makers will start targetting those operating systems more often. It's the nature of the beast. Now that Mac has released the beta version of Bootcamp that will open even more doors for Mac users to get infected since they will use bootcamp to put Windows on their machines.

In February of 2006, two new viruses were detected that target only the Mac OSX or higher operating systems. Inqtana.A Worm and Leap.A Virus

I must be one of the oddest people out there, I tried a mac, have decided that I will never go back.
I will continue to run Windows, and when it gets useless, I will go full time Linux. My custom box allows me the pleasure that a mac user, regardless of it being a laptop or desktop, doesn't have. Ease of upgrading. there is no special order manufacturer parts only. That is why I will never go Mac.

you are so true the mac is not safe from malicious code but for now has less...the two thing discovered didn't do anything (mostely) but were proof of concept

and mac has gotten better in the last years so maybe it deserves another look :whistling: :blink: :help: but hey os is opinion

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive used all the mac OS from the early days when they were still called power macintoshes all the way to OSX. NEVER gonna go back unless they do something spectacular. Windows has its flaws but 90% of windows errors are usually down to people with not enough knowledge trying to do to much, or arent anything at all to do with windows.

I may go to a linux OS i like some of them, if they can improve the gaming and compatibility i would consider it, but mac nah never ill build my own pcs until the day i die and they will have windows as long as its good.

I learned to code on a mac, i learned to use DB and WP, i learned how to edit images, and it took me 10 times longer than it took me to learn to do the same jobs on the PC on my own. Im a uni student, i havent had an "illegal operation" in a long time, viruses had a couple im well protected and i know how to get rid of most malware on my own doesnt take long, and i get so much more relaxation abilities from my windows. I couldnt live not being able to play games its so much more relaxing than tv.

Also macs were only relativley protected because of its lower popularity if it ever achieves as high a usage as windows then it will get crippled if malware writers move there attention, and apple doesnt have the experience and sense that MS does when dealing with malware, and no matter what anyone says considering what MS has to fight in terms of malicous software writers they do an excellent job.

Edited by warriorscot, 20 April 2006 - 05:00 PM.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

Also macs were only relativley protected because of its lower popularity if it ever achieves as high a usage as windows then it will get crippled if malware writers move there attention,

the same circumstances for Linux apply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, im sure when macs and linux are riddled some one will come up with a new "minority" OS. Maybe old torvall will make Linux mark II.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

well one or two viruses is better then all the ones out for windows or even linux. and about mac, its just not about the less viruses or spam at the moment, my freakin imac takes about 10 seconds to start, quick loading of programs applications. Speed is incredible. mac applications take up less memory any way, even if you need more upgrading is cheap and easy. the reason viruses are more for windows is becuase the mac script is much more difficult and indept to write. Windows is much easier. like i said after mac introduces windows avaliability i dont know who would buy a other pc other then a mac. 2 in 1 deal.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

well one or two viruses is better then all the ones out for windows or even linux. and about mac, its just not about the less viruses or spam at the moment, my freakin imac takes about 10 seconds to start, quick loading of programs applications. Speed is incredible. mac applications take up less memory any way, even if you need more upgrading is cheap and easy. the reason viruses are more for windows is becuase the mac script is much more difficult and indept to write. Windows is much easier. like i said after mac introduces windows avaliability i dont know who would buy a other pc other then a mac. 2 in 1 deal.

those are just the two in this year, to date there are 80 known viruses/worms for Mac versus 40 for linux. Linux and mac share one thing in common, it's hard to write a piece of malware that will get by it's build. Linux takes it one step further by blocking root access, which is how most viruses, trojans etc get in to the windows systems.

Advertisements

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
You have all pointed out true things!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well from what i read on the tech forums and feeds the mac kernel is MUCH easier to access and script for, in fact some of them were actually quite funny as they discovered the apple security measure, a lovely little poem asking them not to hack the os and make malware.

That must be some magic imac though last one i used took over a minute to boot and that was in a room full of the things they all did the same thing, and upgrading and repairing them is a nightmare ive tried its not good, its so hard to get parts and forget about replacing the mobo or CPU even the PSU, they make dell look good in the propreitary hardware respect.

Josiah

Josiah

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Well from what i read on the tech forums and feeds the mac kernel is MUCH easier to access and script for, in fact some of them were actually quite funny as they discovered the apple security measure, a lovely little poem asking them not to hack the os and make malware.

That must be some magic imac though last one i used took over a minute to boot and that was in a room full of the things they all did the same thing, and upgrading and repairing them is a nightmare ive tried its not good, its so hard to get parts and forget about replacing the mobo or CPU even the PSU, they make dell look good in the propreitary hardware respect.

Yes that is true but like I said FOR NOW Mac is safer...remember mac is based of FreeBSD and are they finnaly starting to take some small security changes.

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
MAC RULES!!!

do the right thing buddy.

i just converted and i love it!!!

speed,spam free, and you got the looks.

thats all i can say the rest is up 2 u!

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

those are just the two in this year, to date there are 80 known viruses/worms for Mac versus 40 for linux. Linux and mac share one thing in common, it's hard to write a piece of malware that will get by it's build. Linux takes it one step further by blocking root access, which is how most viruses, trojans etc get in to the windows systems.

ye so wuts so bad in that

thats a good thing buddy.