Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

file sharing problem

• Please log in to reply

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, I was wondering if any one could help, i have tried to set up a network between my computer and my wife's to share music files etc and the internet using a ethernet network adaptor in each computer and a cable between the two,i can access the internet fine(the modem is hooked up to my wife's pc)but whenever i try to access any files on her computer i keep getting a message saying"\\snow is not accessable, you might not have permission to use this network resource.... logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer". I recieve the same message if i try to access my hard drive from her computer. I have all hard drives set up to share and would not have a clue what to do next,if anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreiciated,

Thanks, Phil Anderson Charleville, Queensland ,Australia

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone Alarm firewall only allows sharing in the trusted zone, check your firewall settings

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your help keith, i tried to check my firewall settings in control panel and recieved a message saying"due to an unidentified problem windows cannot display windows firewall settings" any other ideas? Phil

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the XP firewall the only one installed?

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yeah as far as i know there is only the xp firewall, no matter how i try to get into it i keep getting told that the firewall and the security centre service have not been started, but i cant seem to get them to start from control panel or the command line?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type services.msc then press enter, look for security centre, if not started, double click it, set the start up type to automatic, click start the service, click apply

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
on my computer there is no security centre service listed to switch on or off in the services.msc section but on my wifes computer it is listed as started, you can open windows firewall in control panel but it is off and shaded grey and you cannot turn it on + there is a message "for your security,some settings are controlled by group policy"

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Group Policy is difficult but not impossible on XP Home, Pro is OK

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
don't quote me on this but for the windows firewall..you want to start the "windows firewall/internet connection sharing" service in services.msc (at least in xp pro..i think it's the same in home)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
ICS in services exists in Home though the absence of security centre there probably needs rectifying

phillipanderson10

phillipanderson10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks for the help so far people but as of yet i still have no windows firewall on either computer!, after removing the group policy rot and running sfc /scannow i got a rude message saying that my version of windows needed to be activated, so i did that, still no access to each others drives,so then i reinstalled windows service pack 2 on both computers and tried again after running the network connection wizard this time i find that i cant even get access to the internet from my computer. it seems to be getting deeper if you know what i mean!!!!!!!!!!!! Phil Anderson Charleville Queensland Australia

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you run this on the PC's

http://www.geekstogo...n=download&id=7

Save it to disc then load it on