Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I want to take the hard drive out of my emachine machine, which is running Windows 98, and add it to my dell dimension 3000 computer, which is running Windows XP. I want to set up the hard drive of my emachine as the slave, and load learning games on it for my kids. How can I set up my dell machine to boot from Windows XP and select the emachine, if my kids are the ones’ logging on?

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what you would need to do is #1 make sure that the dell machine has a free connector on the IDE cable and a free MOLEX power adapter (some dells aren't made for upgrading)...second..you would take the HD out of the emachines and look at the back...next to the place where the IDE cable plugs in there are a set of pins with a little black plastic jumper bridging two of the pins...there should also be a sticker or some etching on the drive with letters (CS, SLA, MAS....or something to that effect) make sure that the jumper is on SLA or SL or something that would lead you to believe it was saying SLAVE...now hook the HD up to the MIDDLE connector on the IDE cable and plug the MOLEX power adapter in...now boot up the machine...once in XP right click on my computer then choose manage then disk management....you SHOULD see the second drive there now....IF you do not have anything that you want to save on the drive...right click it and choose FORMAT (make sure that you are selecting the second drive...if you select your first drive..you are going to format the drive and lose everything)...choose NTFS as the file system...and choose full format....press ok and let it format the drive...that will wipe EVERYTHING off of the drive and make it usable for storing files and games.....

once that's done...when you install a program or a game...make sure to change the install location to the new drive...it will still install some parts to your primary drive..as most programs have to have some portions on that drive...but the bulk of the software will be on this new drive