Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sharing a domain

• Please log in to reply

akyra

akyra

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

Hubby and I have a domain name and some webspace, and are wondering if it is possible to portion a piece of it aside for each of our kids to use.

They are using macromedia studio mx at school and we thought that if they could spend some time at home designing their own site then it would be good practice for them.

The only thing is that we cant have more than one domain name pointing at our webspace at a time, so i didnt know if i could let them use a bit of it, without allowing them access to each others or ours.

i know some sites have a blog section where users can create blogs and others cant access the blogs except to read them but i have no idea how you create these.

If anyone has any advice on this i would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

Cheyenne

Edited by akyra, 05 April 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Why not setup a subdomain for them (ex. kidsarea.yourdomain.com)?

Depending on your host and cpanel being used you should be able to allocate how much space you will allow them and then tie that in with the subdomain.

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
yeah you can do it like most free webhosts do- they give u a subdomain and some space

akyra

akyra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, so it is possible

but how do i do it, i had a quick look around the hosts menus and couldnt find anything appropriate, i will check again more thoroughly tho,

if anyone can describe how this would be set up i would appreciate it thanks

Cheyenne

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
i think you'd get much more input on the forum/blog/contact of the host, since it's their control panel and they know it better than us since we don't know what your using or really anything specific about it.

akyra

akyra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Wish i could, but our webspace provider doesnt have a forum or place where you can ask questions, and ive tried googling this question and im getting no where, cant find anything relevant at all on the cp of our provider either. Nevermind it was a thought

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Its still a possibility, but without knowing the layout of your host, its impossible for us to give you specific instructions.

You will need to contact your host and at least ask what kind of access you have to the WebControl and if you have the ability to add subdomains and seperate FTP users.

Anything is possible and we would be more than happy to help you, but you will have to do the leg work for us.

ScHwErV :whistling:

akyra

akyra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
right i have managed to accertain that i can no longer have sub domains on our package,

this is what it says i have

* Webspace: 2,500 MB
* Data Transfer: 10,000 MB
* Mail Boxes: 1,000
* Autoresponders: 1,000
* Mailing Lists: 1,000
* Email Forwarders: Unlimited
* Catch All Email: Unlimited
* Junk Mail Filters: Unlimited
* Webalizer Graphical Statistics
* FTP/SSH Access

* eXtend Control Panel
* £300 Software and Free Web Tools
* Site Management Tools
* Massive CGI Script Library
* 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
* 100% Uptime Guarantee
* Cancel Anytime!
* Price Freeze Guarantee
* 24 x 7 Technical Support
* Sign-up Now! Real Time Activation!

its with heart internet and costs £40 per year, we have our domain name with them too.

will see what else i can find out

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You can still do www.domain.com/kidsname and just upload their files for them. If you wanted to do a blog or something similar, you would need mySQL, I dont see that mentioned.

akyra

akyra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hmm wanted to be able to let them upload etc themselves as its all part of the practicing what they learn at school, they have their own pcs see so idealy wanted it to be their own designing, creating etc.

Might look into changing hosts

can you recommend any

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I have 2 sites hosted by GTGHosting. Great rates and great support.

akyra

akyra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://www.hostexcel...xpress_plan.php

i just found these people any opinions?

seems a lot for cheap? kinda makes it a bit sus, but then the package we have at the moment has 12x more space and nearly double the bandwidth to the one you suggested above, its quite nerve racking cos you dont know if your gonna get one that messes you around or is a con.

Edited by akyra, 13 April 2006 - 07:21 AM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Check out WebHostingTalk forums (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/) to get answers about various hosting providers.

I have been using QualityHostingOnline for a few years now and have yet to have a problem with them and the price is right.

There are plenty of hosting providers out there. Get a pencil and paper out and write down the pros and cons, the options available and the costs, then stand them side by side at WHT and see how they hold up.

TDXkev

TDXkev

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I recommend my host, BlueHost. Pretty reliable and easy to use, you should check them out.

akyra

akyra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for that guys