Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my laptop freezes in the wallpaper screen

• Please log in to reply

raul666

raul666

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i have a toshiba satellite m50, m55 series and just after rebooting to install the windows automatic update my laptop wont load past the wallpaper screen i only have access to the task manager i think explorer.exe is causing the problem cause if i end the task and open it again the icons on desktop and taskbar appear but with the mouse cursor always on wait and stays like that forever

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi raul666...

Quit all programs that are running.

Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click "Ok". When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click "Ok".

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat the above for each of the following files (replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below) pressing "Enter" after each one:

• Shdocvw.dll
• Actxprxy.dll
• Oleaut32.dll
• Mshtml.dll
• Browseui.dll
• Shell32.dll

Hope this helps...

wannabe1

raul666

raul666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i cant get to start> open since i dont have access to the taskbar but i ran all of those dlls from the taskmanager and nothing happened should i run those dlls from safe mode?

raul666

raul666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
if i end explorer.exe process and reopen it after a while my desktop icons appear along with the taskbar and i can open some programs but is kinda slow and the taskbar is inaccesible if i put the mouse cursor over it it changes to the wait clock

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No need...they should have registered properly in normal mode.

It would appear that you have a corrupt system file. Let's try the System File Checker.

Click Start then Run (or substitute Task Manager > New Task)...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /f (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted (type Y and press Enter). This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Edited by wannabe1, 05 April 2006 - 11:58 AM.

raul666

raul666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
looks like my pc runs fine after reopening explorer.exe but it takes a loooong time and i have to do that everytime i reboot my lap the taskbar takes too much time loading. well im gonna make that system file checker now hope it works and thanks for your help

raul666

raul666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it asks for the "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD" and i only have the "TOSHIBA Recovery and applications/Drivers DVD Satellite M50/M55 Series" and when i insert that disk it says its the wrong disk

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Man...sometimes I really hate those OEM Recovery CD's.... :whistling:

Let's try something different...From Task Manager > New Task, type prefetch, and press "Enter". In the Prefetch Folder, click on "Edit" on the toolbar and choose "Select All" and then press the "Delete" key. Reboot and see if Explorer opens better.

raul666

raul666

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no, my computer runs the same it stays in the wallpaper screen until i close and reopen explorer.exe once i do that after i lot of time loading the taskbar my pc runs normal but without opening the startup programs