Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot Problem returns; doesn't recognize drives.

• Please log in to reply

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
If you remember, about 1 month ago, I installed a 2nd. Hd and had some boot problems. Finally I discovered that clearing the NVRAM solved the problem of the 2nd drive not being seen.

I have not had to reboot (restart) in a while but when I did yesterday, neither HDs ( one drive 0, the other drive 1) are seen. Yet when I cold boot (turn computer off) it boots up perfectly. I tried it several times and when "warm" booting, I have the problem. When "cold" booting, no problem.

Maybe it is the difference in drive manufacturers, but if so, I would think there would be problems with both cold and warm booting. :whistling:

Edited by Impala1ss, 05 April 2006 - 12:02 PM.

Advertisements

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
bump

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

bump

Anyone? Please?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Impala1ss...

Are both drives formatted with the same file system (FAT32 or NTFS)? Are they connected to the same IDE cable?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 April 2006 - 10:04 AM.

Impala1ss

Impala1ss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi Impala1ss...

Are both drives formatted with the same file system (FAT32 or NTFS)? Are they connected to the same IDE cable?

wannabe1

Yes.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just for the sake of troubleshooting, disconnect the slave from the IDE ribbon, disconnect the power from it, and try rebooting. (Do this with the machine off and the power disconnected, of course...but you knew that :whistling: )