Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Copying old drive contents to new build

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I'm not sure this is the correct forum but here goes... I have just finished a new build (Athlon x2 +4200, MSI K8n Neo4 platinum mobo, 2gb corsair twinx 3200 C2 RAM, 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II, 250 GB WD Caviar SATA II, XP Pro OS). Now I'm in the process of deleting all the old useless stuff off of the old machine. I will shortly need to transfer the remaining stuff to the new system. I would like this to be as painless and reliable as reasonably possible. How would you recommend doing this?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there mlwjackson.

I guess there are a few ways of copying your files to your new PC. Let me give you a few simple ones.

1. You can set up a small network between the two computers and transfer the files like that.

2. (My Fav) Add the old HD to the new one. So that you will have three HD inside your new computer. If there is no more IDE's for the HD drive then unplug the CD rom (This is just temporary) boot into your new OS and then transfer the files from the old HD to the new.

Cool, let me know if this is what you were looking for. :whistling:

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Spike, To be a little more specific I am concerned mainly about being sure that I can move certain programs and their associated data. For example, Quicken with years of financial data entered, a financial market analysis program with several custom indicators that have been programed and my Outlook addressbooks, saved emails, etc. There will actually be two moves since I'm giving my oldest computer to my son. There will be a move of some stuff from an old PIII 800mHz running XP Pro to a P4 1.3gHz running XP Home. Then there will be a move of some items from the P4 to my new AMD X2 +4200 Running XP Pro. The P4 is set up with FAT 32. The new AMD system and the old PIII are NTFS. What are your thoughts?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there again mlwjackson, sorry for late reply.

I have another suggestion. If you have heard of "Norton Ghost". It is a great program, it is used to backup things from your computer directly. I have used it quite a while back so they must of upgraded it a bit.

If you willing to pay, it is a great program that you can use that will defintly work or you can wait for more replies here (Some one else might have other idea's)

Check this:
http://www.symantec....0/features.html

Cool, sorry I dont have any other idea's, but if I do, I will be sure to let you know. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There is free imaging software available.

Ghost might not be appropriate as a whole drive image is good for backing up a full HDD if its going to be put back on to the same system but if you make the image and then put it onto the new PC it wont let you boot up from it.

What i would do is the same as reccomended above connect the old drive to the new, what i would do is install all your programs into the new system then go to the old one and transfer all your data and user preference files to the new one.

So for example i just reformatted my system but i wanted my winamp and firefox settings carried over was to go to the dicuments and settings and go to application data(because thats where the files where it might be in program files or my documents it changes from prog to prog) then i copied the files in there for those programs and overwrote the fresh installed files for the programs with the old ones, this means all the extensions and plugins and preferences carried over.

Same should work for other programs you have once you find the user data, the advantage you have the information is on a seperate drive so you dont have to find the files then burn them and hope you pickd the right ones you can try trial and error until you find the correct files. Google might also help alot of progs have a migration tool for files and settings(windows has this as well) so you might have luck with an outomated tool but i usually do it manually so i know whats going from old to new.

But you could still image the drive and keep it on the new one, if its a small drive as they usually are it might fit on a partition of one of your new drives and you can have it there on the system and that would let you format the old drive if you are giving it away or putting it in another system.