Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Programme won't work because of missing vb40032.dll

• Please log in to reply

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
The second and third links from the bottom are the same download : vbrun60sp3.exe Is that right?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry if they are, they were listed as different, you obviously only need one copy of each

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Cheers! Sorry if I led you down the wrong track. That looks like a job to leave until tomorrow! I'll report back then!
Thanks for the help!
Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Keith!
Sorry have been busy elsewhere. Just got round to trying what you said but failed at the first hurdle! Run could not find sfc/scannow neither could Search!

BTW I do have original XPHome disc and have downloaded SP2 previously but don't have an SP1 XP CD

I have only recently reinstalled XP and am a bit reluctant to do it(or what seems a similar operation XPrepair that you mention as an alternative) again as I had horrendous virus/trojan/spyware problems after doing it ( only solved by lengthy work by Crusty Old Bloke on Geeks to Go)
Dave

Edited by depresseddonkey, 15 April 2006 - 01:50 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Specifically, sfc /scannow (with the space)

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ah,right!

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Actually have just found SP1 CD! sfc now running!

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
And it's just asked for the original XP CD not SP1 which it won't accept as an alternative so I 've done what it asked!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it the CD you used to install?

Advertisements

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes it was my original install CD, the SP1 is a copy I was given to load SP1 when it first came out.
Just been through the sfc,with original cd in drive, no messages from it about changes made. Have checked wordsearch prog. same error message unfortunately. Does that mean I have to do XP Repair? Is it likely to be risky when I go to do the updates? And will it mean reinstalling SP1 (CD)and SP2(online-don't have cd)?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You would need to install SP2, no need for SP1

Have a go with this first

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
OK. Done all that! Has improved performance but still same error message for wordsearch programme! Funny, it worked perfectly before recent reinstall of XP.

Thanks for your help today!

Back tomorrow!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it worth asking the programme maker if there are any known issues

Is it the only problem programme

depresseddonkey

depresseddonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Yes it is the only problem I've encountered with programmes since reinstall, but it did work OK before. I copied it via CD from my work laptop. Will try to find programme maker on the net.