Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IDE HD and SATA HD

• Please log in to reply

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
i am currently running an IDE HD with windows on it. i have a new HD and it is a SATA HD. how do i go about putting the new SATA HD on my computer. i want to run it as a secondary HD. What are my options for installing and what is the best way i should run it? i want to keep windows on the IDE cause i don't want to go through with the hastel of uninstalling windows and backing everything up. someone plz walk me trough it. ty

Advertisements

The Duck

The Duck

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, most people don't want to have their new SATA as slave, and would rather take advantage of the preformance increase and want it as master.

The BIOS will look to the SATA HDD for a MBR first. So the only way you might be able to achieve your goal is to make sure the BIOS checks the IDE drive. But if this doesn't work then you'll have to move the OS to the SATA, but beleive me you'll be glad you did :whistling:.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
how do i go about doing that i guess. do i need to reformat the ide.

The Duck

The Duck

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The easiest way to do this is probably with a program called ghost. Google it, it costs money but it's not to expensive. Whatever you do, don't reformat the IDE HDD until you have successfully moved everything to the SATA HDD!!

Edited by The Duck, 06 April 2006 - 03:47 AM.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
An other ideas or imput from anyone else. i can backup everything to DVD. plus i need to know ecatly what to do. i installed the IDE but this is a little differnt i am trying to run 2 HD never did it before need walk through instructions.

SeraphHHC

SeraphHHC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
what about this program. it is free also
http://www.miray.de/...at.hdclone.html