Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Game Rig Help

• Please log in to reply

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
The 550 is enough Truepower delivers its power to the vid card efficiently without no problems

Advertisements

Fred Richardson

Fred Richardson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, you're probably right. I know that people push the limit by running something like 2 512Meg Geforce 7900GTX's, overclocking those (and everything else) and running a liquid cooling system. I've heard that it's not too hard to surpass 550Watts doing stuff like that (the DFI boards are supposed to be very finiky about PSU's, but I think those are always overclocked).

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
I dont know much about DFI Boards but if you wanna overclock everything you need a stable PSU maybe even a 600 watt from a trusted company.

Use this list the most trusted and solid are in Blue.
Posted Image

Fred Richardson

Fred Richardson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes, CPU mag reviewed a bunch of PSU's. One of the ones they rated well was the FSPGROUP FX 700-GLN.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think that list is to accurate, you can get good companies put out bad PSU and bad ones put out good. And the Blue ones i wouldnt say are particualrly deserving over other companies.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I know for shure that antec, enermax, ocz, and ultra are good but thermaltake isnt even shown in blue lol..

Fred Richardson

Fred Richardson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well my system is built, and though I went over the top with it, I have to say I'm quite happy. The case in particular is really impressive.

I had one of those moments when I first assembled this thing, turned on the power supply, hit the power button and ... nothing happened. It turned out I hadn't seated all of the power connectors correctly on the mobo. Now I wonder how many people have RMA'd power supplies after making the same mistake?

So now I'm looking into keyboards and mice. I'm a big fan of track mice (I've used one for years), but I'm a touch typist so keyboard choice is pretty important.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Trackball, i only know one trackpad thats relativley popular and thats one of the nostromo(think that was the name) they arent very popular i havent seen one since i was like 5 or 6 years old.

Big fan of razer mice myself, loving my diamondback after i finally worked myself up enough to spend so much on a mouse.

Zboard i have is great and is allright for typing because it can recognise more keystrokes per second that most keyboards can but still its not the best typing keyboard ive used but thats not what its for, its still among the top 10 ive used. I actually find MS keyboard really nice to use the ergonomics are really good, i dont like the ones that are spread out butterfly, i usually touch type(once i get used to my keyboard, still breaking this one in) and i found the MS one better the Zboard is more traditional QWERTY rather than the nice curved inward touchy feely MS one i did use.

Ive wired up my power switch wrong a million times, i just accept it as something i am going to do.

Lian Li is like the Gucci of computer cases, and at there prices you better hope they are impressive, i want one of the lian li desks, but they cost a fortune.

Fred Richardson

Fred Richardson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've become very accustomed to the microsoft trackball optical mouse. Kensington has similar models that may well be better. Here's how I'd review this Microsoft one (I've been using this one for years now):

PROS:
  • A nice laptop solution when you don't have room for a mouse (certainly much better than a trackpad...).
  • The pointer precision seems to be very good (though there may be a "learning curve" to get there).
  • Reduces arm movement which can be good for folks with certain mouse related stress injuries. Although I think the bigger problem is probably related to moving ones hand back and forth between mouse and keyboard.
CONS:
  • Dirt gets into the trackball socket so you have to clean it out regularly (it will get a "sticky" feeling).
  • The ball can pop out quite easily (and in my case roll under the couch :whistling:).
  • I've used this for years now, but it may have taken me a long while to get used to.
  • The mouse has 5 buttons, but I''ve never found a use for the extra 2 "outboard" ones.
I use a regular mouse for most of my work, but I have to say that I've come to prefer this type of trackball. In the past I've tried other trackballs: back in the early 90's I had one of those big Kensington ones that I used with my Mac and more recently I tried one that put the trackball under the index finger. But both of those solutions where far from ergonomic for me and I'd ultimately end up with pain in the wrist or in the tendons on the back or palm of my hand. I don't know exactly why, but this particular type of trackball has turned out to be a good fit over a long period of time.

I should probably check to see if there's any mouse evaluation software out there. That way I could test myself to see how well I can do with this trackball compared to myself using a mouse (and compared to other people using a mouse).

Fred Richardson

Fred Richardson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Have any of you guys ever used a Datadesk keyboard? I have one I used with my Mac. They're pretty nice for typists, but cost quite a bit. I'm not sure how they'd hold up for general gaming. The key feature for those is the keyboard switches (I hate spongie feeling keyboards).

Advertisements

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
The G15 by logitech is pretty great and it can hold quit a few macros and stuff. Mostly for RPGS but its great for gaming and it has a programmable lcd screen that pops out of the top of it i love it and its long and its similar to the MS board so its a pretty good choice for athe typist gamer hybrid.