Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI-e?

• Please log in to reply

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
My old computer had an AGP slot, but my new computer only has PCI and I think the black one is PCI-e. I'm not entirely sure if it is though. Now I know AGP is supposed to be faster than regular PCI, but how does PCI-e comepare to AGP? Really though all I need to know is whether or not the black slot is PCI-e.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC004443.JPG

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yes your black slot is pci-express!

pci-express is the newest technology out as far as graphics cards go

the advantages of pci-express is that it has a higher transfer speed between the motherboard and the graphics cards.

the highest bandwidth of agp is 8X
pci-express is 16X

pci-express allows for higer GPU clock speeds and memory bandwith because the information can be proccesed and transfered quicker

but pci-express is a little more expensive than agp at the moment but prices are definitely going to even up a little

pci cards are great even though i have a really bad cheap agp card the pci-express generation is here,
troppo

Edited by troppo, 06 April 2006 - 02:21 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That looks like a PCI-E 16X slot with a PCI-E 1X small slot beneath it. A PCI-E 16X slots has double the bandwidth of a 8X AGP slot.

Heres a good article on it.

http://www.pcstats.c...eid=1087&page=1

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I actually find AGP versions of some cards cost MORE not less then the PCI-E counterparts and you obviously have much more choice of card in PCI-E.

You can use a program called CPU-Z to find out if your graphical interface is PCI-E but it certainly looks like one even though it is black.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
alright cool. all the good video cards support PCI express. so that's good. OK thanks a lot.