Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem installing older printer on home network

• Please log in to reply

wylieccoyote

wylieccoyote

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've just inherited an HP Color LaserJet 8500 DN and want to hook it up to my home network. (2 PC's running Windows XP Pro and networked through an SMC Barricade g Router). I've set up the printer, which seems to work great on its own (test page etc), but don't know how to add the printer as a network place so that I can use it. Printer is connected by a RJ45 cable (?) directly to the router and shows a green light beside the port on the printer, and on the router. Apprently the printer has its own hard drive but i'm not sure if it has its own printer server. Manual doesn't help - it's written for Windows 95. I'm sure its simple, but i just don't know how to make the these machines communicate. I would very much appreciate any help!

Advertisements

wylieccoyote

wylieccoyote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone take a bribe? I'm very anxious to get this hooked up! :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so the printer has an ehternet port?

check the manual for how to set an ip address on the printer from the printer's controlls...once you find that info...change the ip to one that is in the same range as your network (i.e. if your computer's ip is 192.168.0.2 then make the printer 192.168.0.104 or something like that as long as the last number isn't the same as the last number of any other machine on your network)...then you would go to start > settings >printers > add a printer...choose the local printer option (sounds stupid doesnt it?) then when it asks for the port...choose the option to make a new port...choose standard tcp-ip as the port type and type the printer's ip address as the name (it will copy that number down to the line below it as well...leave it that way)...then press ok...the computer should now start going through the rest of the normal add printer stuff...it should detect what type of printer is there and ask for a driver and what not...

wylieccoyote

wylieccoyote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you very much for the advice. I'm busy trying to find out how to set the IP address as you mentioned. The manual for the printer (from HP site) keeps referring me to the CD ROMS, that I do not have. Once i get the IP address set, will i need a driver to finish installing? HP site does not have a driver listed.
I believe it has an ethernet port. Its just a network cable (RJ-45) that plugs into it and there are 2 green lights when its switched on and plugged into the router. The green light beside "100" comes on. The light beside "10" stays off. I believe it also has a built in printer server. The specs page that it prints says it has installed in EIO 1 -> HP JETDIRECT J3113A.
Hopefully i'll be able to get info on setting the IP tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

Edited by wylieccoyote, 06 April 2006 - 11:06 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
HP have a network printer wizard

http://h20000.www2.h...dSeriesId=27908